Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 4l60e in my 94 is leaking from the flywheel cover. I pulled it off yesterday, and didn't see any fluid tracks, so I assumed it was from the pan. Pulled the pan, resealed it, and leak is still there. Is there a seal from the torque converter to the tranny? I really need a schematic, but haven't found one. Any help, ideas would be awesome! thanks!

Ryno

· Registered
538 Posts
are you sure that it's not oil? Cause if your leaking from your oil filter it will look like that. If you reciently changed your oil maby you accidently left the old gasket on there. Or if you have an oil cooler it could be leaking from where it connects up to the block. This gasket fails pretty often.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok- I don't wanna be mean, but tranny fluid is red, oil is brown. Everything else on the truck is fine, and not leaking. There IS A LEAK FROM THE FRONT OF THE TRANSMISSION. Anyone with a schematic, or a part # for a seal please email me! =)

Ryno

· Registered
1,245 Posts
It's been my experience that it is likely to be the pump seal (input shaft seal). But that usually leaves a trail of fluid down the front of the tranny. My suggestion is to inspect while hot and every hour after you shut it down for a little while to see where it's coming from.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rebel-

thanks for the info. I have done the R&R on my 2 trannies...am I better off taking it to a shop, and having them do it, or better pulling the tranny, and doing it myself?

Ryno

· Registered
409 Posts
If the torque convertor seal is leaking in the front pump, you need to make sure you replace the bushing behind it too. It will keep leaking if you just replace the seal and not the bushing. Wouldnt hurt to pull the font pump while your at it and check the pump gears and the o-ring seal around the outside of the pump.

· Registered
2 Posts
Sound advice, wish i had seen 1 day sooner

If the torque convertor seal is leaking in the front pump, you need to make sure you replace the bushing behind it too. It will keep leaking if you just replace the seal and not the bushing. Wouldnt hurt to pull the font pump while your at it and check the pump gears and the o-ring seal around the outside of the pump.

not sure if this is the proper way to reply but, your advice will save peep money. my mechanic didnt know this tidbit. turns out that bushing had "spun" in its housing " pump casting" just got a used/guaranteed pump in today off e-bay. going to tranny dude to have him look it over before r&r again. any more i should know to make sure this is last time out and in for a while ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.