Honda TRX 90 for 5 year old - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 11:25 PM
murphyics

Honda TRX 90 for 5 year old

Hi all,

I have read through some posts and I have found that the Honda TRX 90 sounds like it may be too much for my 5 year old. However, I am concerned about the quality of lesser known brands and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a Yamaha 50 that sounds like my son may outgrow quickly. So here is my question. I noticed that the Honda TRX 90 year 2006 or 2007 come with a throttle adjuster. What do others think about simply purchasing the Honda and putting the throttle adjuster way down?

Thanks for the input.

murphyics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 08:02 PM
hagsjeep

Re: Honda TRX 90 for 5 year old

I originally typed you a very lengthy response, but for some reason, it did not go. Basically I agree that the Honda 90 is too much (safely) for a 5 year old. Safety was my biggest concern when I bought my son his first quad. Please get rid of the mindset that you are worried about him outgrowing a quad and starting him on one that is too big, it's a dangerous way to think. If you take care of the quad you will always be able to sell a youth quad with a minimal amount of loss compared to the amount of fun he will have. Depending on his size, I personally like the E-ton Viper 70 for a beginner(my son's second quad). It has a low center of gravity, adjustable CDI rev limiter along with the throttle limiter, adjustable suspension, good brakes, readily available parts. HIs third quad is a E-ton Viper 90 w/reverse. Most likely there is a dealer near you. Visit etonamerica.com. I am considering the DRR for his next quad. If you are considering racing your should look at the at them at drrinc.com. My son's first quad was a Suzuki 50, it was ok, but not for the price. If you can find a cheap one, ok, if not seriously consider one of the Taiwan brands, I feel the are better than the Japanese brands. Hopefully this helps, if you have any more questions, feel free to email me.
Brian
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 08:41 AM
murphyics

Re: Honda TRX 90 for 5 year old

Thanks Brian,

Safety is definitely my first concern. I guess I was just looking to see if the rev limiter could be brougt down to a low enough speed to make the Honda safe. However, you gave me exactly the type of answer I was looking for which is taking into account things like the lower center of gravity.

It sounds like you do feel that the e-ton is a good safe quad for the money. Have you had any experience with the Yamoto or Kazuma? I beleive these are both Chinese models, but do you think the Taiwanese models are probably better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Sticky_Dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyics View Post
Hi all,

I have read through some posts and I have found that the Honda TRX 90 sounds like it may be too much for my 5 year old. However, I am concerned about the quality of lesser known brands and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a Yamaha 50 that sounds like my son may outgrow quickly. So here is my question. I noticed that the Honda TRX 90 year 2006 or 2007 come with a throttle adjuster. What do others think about simply purchasing the Honda and putting the throttle adjuster way down?

Thanks for the input.

murphyics
We just sold our Honda 90 and bought our 6 year old the Suzuki 90.
The Suzuki lt 80 is more suitable too.
The Hondas shifting is too much for the younger kids, the Suzukis are automatics.
They understand it ok,, but they are too small to pull it off.
An auto trans quad is best for the younger kids.
Avoid the cheapie quads..
90 % chance it'll be a bad experience for you.
They have no resale either.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 11:53 PM

The Suzuki LT 80 is a little smaller and may be a better bet. I have also heard pretty good things about the Eton and I know people who are racing the DRR machines. My son started on a Suzuki 50. Get used buying, selling, buying, too keep up with their growth. You will be doing it alot.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Bulldogfallon

It is always better to outgrow a quad then to be unable to handle the it.

I would check out the DRR lineup

DRR ATVS KIDS ATVS

They have a DRX50,DRX70 and DRX90 for 2007.

Their features and quality are superior to any of the other minis out there...yes even the Japanese built quads while having a lower cost

DRX50 has won the National Championship for the 4-6 stk class the last 3 years..... $1,999 MSRP

DRX50 comes 41" wide, dual a-arms, 4 whee disc brakes, performance exhaust and engine...The 70 and 90cc are now stock at 44" wide

When we brings ours out and new people see the quad they immediatelt stop in there tracks and ask "what is that" and then "How do we get one"

Check out this link on the bottom left of this page to see a video of an 06 DRX50 in action

ATV Ride Test - DRR's DRX50 - A race worthy mini ATV for less than two grand

They are not made in China....Taiwan built....Great bikes and even better people at DRR

I am a Honda man for adult quads, but DRR offers the best value/perfomance in the youth quad market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode