60cc quad help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 01:10 PM
dirtbug

60cc quad help

thanks spike99 I have jetted and cleaned the carb many times it was a 90 main, stock, i have it down to a 75 and have moved needle many times, i feel i am very close on the jetting. it seems like it is not getting any advance on the timing, do these 2 strokes have advance? and would that be controlled by the cdi box? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 05:06 PM

Re: 60cc quad help

If the stock carb and stock air box was 90 Main Jet and you added a unifilter on it, you must increase the Main Jet size. In other words, go to a higher number. The reason is, the unifilter will let much "more air" into the carb and thus, you need "more gas" to keep proper balance of air/gas mixture. If you go with a untifilter, I've read that its jetting might be between 110 - 130 Main jet(depending one's altitude and weather temps).

If wondering, we had a 82 Main jet in our '03 Pred-90 16mm carb with its factory air box and its long skinny snorkel "straw pipe". I kept its factory air box and replaced its skinny snorkel with a shorter, wider inner diameter snorkel pipe. And this new pipe has a smooth 90 degree bend instead of the factory sharp 90 degree bend. For a picture, surf: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...29655958iCaQAK

To set our 16mm factory carb to obtain "light black / dark brown" spark plug color, I had to install a larger size main jet. The jet size for its customization and my specific altitude is 87.5 (hot summer) and 90 (for warm winter). Thus proving that I had to install a larger size main jet.

If your upgraded air filter allows "more air" into the carb, then increase its main jet size (NOT 90 down to 75). This will lean the carb's mixture and in a short period of time, it will burn a hole in the piston (from running too hot).

Unfortunately, I can't guess the 3 jet sizes you may want to play with. For my custom config, another person guessed 87.5 and 90. With their many years of experience, they were right on. For your unifilter, I'm not experienced enough to guess. But I do know it's probably in the 110-130 range. Hopefully, another person on this forum will make an educated guess on what 3 jet sizes (above 90) you may want to start with....

Note: Check its spark plug color NOW. If it's white or has white spots, do NOT run it anymore. White means its running too hot and within 4 minutes of running above 1/4 throttle, it will blow your new engine upgrades apart. Instant piston melt down as well. That I do know for sure....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 05:24 PM

To learn more about setting the jets (and other settings) in its carb, read the entire page of:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/printcarbtuning.html

Bottom line is:
- Less resistance air flow into the carb means more air goes into the carb. Thus, larger Main Jet size must be installed.
- The lower down the mountain, the air gets thicker. Thus, higher size main jet.
- The higher up the mountain, the air gets thinner. Thus, smaller size main jet.
- The colder the air temps, the thicker the air gets. Thus, higher Main jet size.
- The hoter the air temps get, the thinner the air gest. Thus, smaller main jet size.

The above explains the reason why many folks (even the pros) have 3 different size jets (to play with) and also explains why it's NOT an easy for someone to guess your mini's "jetting starting point".

For your 60cc carb and its beefed up engine with unifilter, I'll ask around. Hopefully, somebody can provide you a "best guess" main jet size starting point.

Hope this helps as well...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:55 PM

dirtbug,

See the PM I just sent you. That will help....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode