Wrong on Bombardier 90cc performance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Bayou250

Wrong on Bombardier 90cc performance

I had made several comments concerning my sons Bombardier 90cc 2 strokes performance, and I may have to retract of those comments that I had made before. For everyone who had read my posts about the 4 wheeler know that I was not at all impressed
with the power and performance it had. Well I took it back to the dealer and talked to a mechanic who rode it and said that there was a big ladk of power and that he would take care of it. Well 3 hours later he called me and that it was ready to be picked up. When we got there he showed me how well it ran. I was shocked! It ran so much stronger and faster than what it did the day we bought it brand new. When I saw it haul his 200 lb body around with ease I knew then thats the way it should be. It was very strong and fast. It seems that I made some false statements about this little 4 wheeler, BUT, if you buy, one talk to the mechanic and find out how often you need to get is serviced becouse it does seem to be a little sensitive.... maybe I could be wrong and only time will tell. I will keep everyone posted on it. All I can say about it now is that it has got some balls and runs like a scallded dog!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:42 AM

Re: Wrong on Bombardier 90cc performance

Just wondering... Did your mini-ATV mechanic mention what he fixed and/or corrected? Perhaps there's others who are disappointed with their brand of 2-stroke and might want to investigate the same "performance choking" problem?

Thanks for sharing the cause of the problem with us....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Bayou250

Bombardier 90cc performance

When I talked to the mechanic who worked on it, he said that the screen in the back of the muffler was clogged and that the carb some water in the bottom of it. No clue how it got there becouse our son had not up to that point driven it through any water. He also said the carb was out of adjustment and that he
adjusted some linkage and cleaned out the jets in it. Now when we bought it, it was brand new and was not very impressed with it. Some how it came from the factory like this. But since we took it back to the dealer, it runs like a champ. It can go anywhere our 250s can go. It really seems to be a good ride. Would like to get a K&N for it or maybe a new exhaust for it one day, but for now its plenty fast for our son. Will keep everyone posted on it. Thanks for not throwing the ax at me for mudding up Bombardier, for all of the Bombardier fans out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 02:26 AM

Re: Bombardier 90cc performance

Water can get into the gas tank and/or carb from natural condensation. Especailly this time of year when temps are up/down all the time. The best way to eliminate condensation is a completely dry tank or a completely full tank. If a tank has 1/8-1/2 of gas in it, it will get "natural" condensation.

I've read that carb jets are suppose to be set by the dealer BEFORE the mini is released to the customer. Sometimes, this "final jet setting" gets missed (even for the best of dealers). I also read that many dealers are recommended to set the carbs on the rich side of the scale. For the 1st little while, it's better to run the carb in a little rich range compared to perfect setting. If the jets were perfect and you transported the mini to a dramatically lower altitude, it would run too lean. Thus, engine damage. A really good mechanic will ask the receiving customer what altitude they are, how much traveling they do, consider weather changes and set the carbs for that specific customer. Thus, each mini's carb is "customized" for each customer. Either customizing was a little off or they used the "factory rich recommendation" before handing you the keys.

If a carb is set too rich, it will smoke. If you also run pre-mix 50:1 for the 1st gas tank (as per many manuals recommend), the mini will smoke even more. With these "double smoke" items at the same time, the screen in the tail pipe WILL plug up. It always happens.

Now that your DS-90 is "back in action", its carb's jets are better set and you've probably finished that 50:1 premix for 1st tank burn-in, the muffler screen "should be good for life". Every spring, do remember to re-check this screen - just in case.

Note: Not trying to make your dealer sound really bad. He's a hero for finding the carb richness and screen plugged problem. But... If the carb was a 100% perfect on day 1, it might NOT have gotten a plugged screen. Probably still would have had water in the carb though.

Thanks for sharing the cause of the problems with your brand new DS-90. I'm glad you and your dealer finally got it off the launch pad. re: Now sitting on a rocket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode