02 scrambler 50 - stiff kick start - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 01:25 PM
jlynn1010

02 scrambler 50 - stiff kick start

I bought this this used a year ago - it has run great except for a few things:

1) The battery died shortly after getting it, so I replaced it with a new one, charged it, etc and it has never worked (I assume it was not the battery that died)

2) Occasionaly when the quad is ridden it makes a clunking noise from the transmission?)

3) The kick starter is EXTREMELY stiff - but when it kicks over, it runs fine... (with the above exceptions)

I assume that the second two issues are related? I dont have a manuel for the bike, and I am wondering if the crankcase oil is low - I have no idea how to check, etc - I have not been able to locate an inspection window, etc.

any help is greatly appreciated, and feel free to make fun if these are stupid NEWB questions.

John

p.s. Yes I already searched the forum with no luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 08:15 PM

Re: 02 scrambler 50 - stiff kick start

Hi there....

You could have a dud "brand new" battery. It's rare but it sometimes happens. If you charge the battery (out of the bike) and let it sit for 2 weeks, does it still hold most of its charge? If it doesn't, it's a new battery that won't keeps its charge. Rare but does sometimes happens. The other problem could be the charging side of the stator system. I've been told that a stator system has 2 parts. One part for the ignition system and the other part for its charging system. When installing lights, people tap into the charging system of the stator. Personally, I don't know how to test the stator's output. One of these electrical things that's way above my head. Hopefully, someone else on this forum could help you in this area.

I don't have a Scrambler 50 so I'm guessing in this area. Some units have a "sight glass" and some units have a dip stick. On the Pred-90 brand, there's a sight glass on the inside of the transmssion case. Best seen with a flashlight from the right side of the mini (with its side panels removed). The oil level must be within the sight glass window. Not too high and not too ligh. Exactly in the middle of the sight glass is perfect. For easiest visual check, use Polaris Blue Gear oil. The blue color is very easy to see in the sight glass. Your 50 unit might have a dip stick. Hopefully, someone can confirm for your specific model.

Our Pred-90's kick start stiffens up as well. Approx twice a year, I have to remove the plastic engine gas, its tranny air filter and clean the heck out of the kick starter gears. Also have to re-lube them with chain oil. For a picture, surf: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...43251578gnteFe Perhaps your kick starter gear needs a good cleaning / re-lubing as well?

BTW: You should be able to download a manual for your Scram-50 from the Polaris Web site. Their manual URL is: http://consumer.polarisindustries.co...l/default.aspx

Hope this helps - somehow....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 10:12 PM

Re: 02 scrambler 50 - stiff kick start

For a picture of the Pred-90 Tranny Sight Glass, surf:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...58400442YqueCh
* Select "Normal Size" to see the picture much better.

Hope this helps...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode