2001 scrambler 90cc problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:09 PM
grasstomud

2001 scrambler 90cc problem?

i bought my son a used scrammy for xmass. bought off friend who's son never liked. i was having a problem with it running. it will die itself out. so i replaced the plug , fuel filter and took carb off and cleaned good inside and out. drained gas and the machine will start now but will back fire after accelrating at a good take off. after you take off hard and then relaese the throttle it seems like it gets quiet like its going to die then it back fires.the machine doesnt die though. When the machine is sitting at idle it sounds like a spit every now and then threw exuast.also it doesnt sound like a ping ping more like a pop pop exuast sound. also i checked compression at its at 85-90. the machine will start up good . after i get it running for a minute or so i will un hook the elect. choke . i thought it was flooding out carb. machine has loods of pep at take off and when you gun it thats when it back fires when you let down throttle. I mean a load pop. What should i do. If you try to idle it down with the idle screw it does nothing also. Please help......Thanks, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 05:45 AM

Re: 2001 scrambler 90cc problem?

As a suggestion, also post your same question within:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/cate...m/catid/10.cfm

http://forums.atvsource.com/viewforum.php?f=11

Folks on these other forums can help you was well....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 06:37 PM

Last time we took our Pred-90 out (doing donuts on the ice), its engine "sputtered" at its top end. Checked the plug and it was loaded with carbon. Signs of too much oil. I also installed a hotter plug as well. Raptorlegs pointed out that I was running too much oil in my gas. I'm thinking the 10 degrees below freezing and lack of cold weather jetting had something to do with it as well.

How's your plug look? It should be beer bottle brown. Is your temperature dramatically different this time of year as well? Each of these things have an influence on "dies at top end".

To read your plug, surf:
http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/sparkcolors.html
http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/mo...lug2/plug2.htm

Flush your system with fresh gas. Backfiring / burping is usually caused from bad gas or bad wiring. But, can be influenced by other things as well.

** On an E-Ton brand, I also once read about their Spark Arrestor / Muffler being full of carbon. You may want to check that "carbon & crud" holder on your unit as well.

--------

If you think it's electrical problem, you could idle its engine and bring your it to a low warm state. Then, take a garden hose and spray all it wiring. Start from the bottom of the unit and slowly work your way up. If its engine starts to sputter, you found where an electrical fault "could be". This garden hose with spray sometimes finds electrical problems.

If external water can't find it, then its probably an internal electrical type problem. Change the plug, and swap out the coil with another Polaris coil. In the my old days, I had a set of plugs where one of them randomly stopped working at its top end. Took me over 3 weeks to find that problem. Hopefully, you've tried another plug and plug cap. And, hopefully you have another Polaris around that you can start swapping parts with. Those intermitting problems are always the hardest to find.

Hope this helps as well....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 PM
atvx2

Look for a clogged fuel filter or vent hose. Had a similar problem with my son's. The dealer had it three or four times in the shop before he found the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode