rough mountain terrain-which ATV is best-8 yr old? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Ann

rough mountain terrain-which ATV is best-8 yr old?

My family owns property in the mountains of North Carolina and the old logging roads are very steep and rocky. We are thinking of getting an ATV for our 8 year old as well as my husband and I but are more concerned what is best for my son...please advise... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] <font color="purple"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 11:11 PM

Re: rough mountain terrain-which ATV is best-8 yr old?

The Polaris Predator 90 brand has the best stock suspension. I've heard their '05 models will be released in Oct/Nov 2004. Their '05 model is 1" wider, has 1" more rear suspension travel, and comes with reverse. Pred-90 brand doesn't like water and deep mud very well. Their stators (and sometimes ignitions coils) get too wet and sometimes fry (via Heat Overload). The Pred-90 has drum brakes. Good for flat ground stopping but could be a little weak on your steep mountain trails.

The E-Ton Viper 90 brand has a very good reputation. Their '05 brand has reverse. Only negatives I heard is its suspension could be better and its front bumper sometimes digs in. Some replace its front bumper with a much better bumper.

One of my close racing buddies told me that if he could remove his engine and disc brakes from his E-Ton Viper 90 and install in a stock Pred-90 frame, he'd purchase it without hesitation. That's how much he loves his E-Ton engine / brakes and the stock suspension of the Pred-90.

I hear the Kasea 90 brand is really good as well. Many people purchase 3rd party Nerf bars for the Kasea unit. Might also want to investigate the eXtreme, Blast &amp; LRX (or something like that) brands. I hear their are pretty good as well.

If you are planning on upgrading suspensions, tires, upgrade motors, etc. then contact Billy Holt at WRH Racing. He can tell you which brand is less expensive to upgrade its performance, brakes and/or suspension.

As you can tell from above, there's no perfect brand of mini for your mountain trails. Each has their pros / cons and optional upgrades.

Hope this helps...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 12:58 PM
atv4kids

hello there i would like to add that the new kid on the block is a atv manufacture by the name of Unison Motorsports they are located in California we purschased 2 bikes now from them and the main reason was they have all the parts in stock here insted of waiting for kasea eton polaris and a few others to send them from taiwan we have been very happy with or atvs and are looking at there new line of 250 400 and 750 they told me should be out early next year i saw the latest review in ATV action sept issue it looked like a good write up and so far we have had no problem with water or mud you can also see them at unison-atv.com like i said they are a new company and are working very hard on the latest trends for ATV's [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2004, 03:31 AM
212RACING

trx90
they are bullet proof. they have been around in either a 3 or 4 wheel version for 30+ years. my sons is a 1995. we bought it used for trail riding.he now races mx almost every weekend and, sometimes during the week at county fair races.we have gone from bone stock to many upgrades.we have raced for 6 yrs. now. he races wis. to alabama, mo. to ga. i have seen just about every brand out there over and over,in either stock or modified version,none have fewer problems than the trx90. some have more options (lights,electric start,more susp. travel, but i have still not seen one with a superior suspension.)he abuses this quad week in week out. only failure is the axle bolts came loose racing and threw the chain. the chain and sprockets were also a little wore so they have been replaced.
i would not hesitate to buy another used trx90 again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode