new cdi box for polaris predator 90, 50 all other - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 08:13 PM
tunebytito

new cdi box for polaris predator 90, 50 all other

i have develop a new cdi box for the polaris predator 90, 50 and scramblers,e-ton, bombardiers, etc..., which you can program the rev limiter and ignition timing, all you need is the cdi box [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]and a palm os device(palm pilot organizer) with os 3.5 or higer, the software is free.
this is what you can do with the software in the palm pilot:
you can keep any file name 25 character long
dates when you program you quad
notes,over 4,000 characters about you quad
revlimiter from 5,000 to 16,000 in 1 rpm increment.
16 ignition timing one for each 1,000 rpm increment from 1,000 to 16,000, from 0 deg to 45 deg advance-retard deg
you can set the offset from 1 deg to 99 deg to be able fit deferent atv from 50cc to 400cc.

all you need is a atv with a battery, a magneto with pulser like predator 90, 50. palm pilot with serial port, and the cdi box.
for more info:
[email protected]

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 03:39 PM
mrgeorge

Re: new cdi box for polaris predator 90, 50 all other

there's probably only 1 or 2 guys in the nation that could develop a proper MBT spark map for one of these quads. i applaud your effort and technical ability, but one thing is to create such a device, and quite another to be able to make effective use of it. what i mean is that the end user still needs to decide what spark timing values should be programmed into the ROM. the average tuner just doesnt have the ability to properly detect the optimal spark timing. this comes from either years of experience with THAT engine, a knock detector (specialized piezo electric accelerometer), and/or a dynamometer. the reality is that optimized spark timing, vs conservative factory timing, just doesnt get you much. if timing was less than ideal by as much a 5 it would barely amount to 2% power difference - which is almost within the limits of measurability on a dyno. further, a guy who doesnt have the experience or the equipment can very easily get drawn into advancing the spark timing too much and getting into knock, which can very quickly destroy a piston.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 02:06 PM
BlueFly

Re: new cdi box for polaris predator 90, 50 all other

I disagree. Timing adjustments are a basic tuning skill. I think this is a terrific idea. Of course, like everything else, this could be done incorrectly, and damage can be done. If we limited ourselves to only tweaking things that could never cause damage if performed improperly, we couldn't allow ourselves go so far as adjust the brakes. I agree that caution must be observed during an adjustment of this type, but no more so than when performing carb adjustments (admittable a simpler operation, but equal in potential to do damage).

Instead of deciding right out of the gate not to try, let's combine our efforts, and make it easier for every one who does wish to give it a go. If any out there is trying this out, post your results (and your settings).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode