I Need Help Picking Youth ATV - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 12:56 PM
chrispolaris

I Need Help Picking Youth ATV

I was thinking about buying my 9 year old son a predator 50. Do you think this will be to small for him? He is an average size kid. Any input would be very helpful. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 05:22 PM
atv4kids

Re: I Need Help Picking Youth ATV

i still say for the money you should look at one of the off brands because he will out grow it i a year or so so dont spend all the $$$ now wait until he can ride a 400cc or larger i got my kid the desert cat from unison check them out you will like what you get for the $$$$unison-atv.com there is only a few dealers right now but they are getting bigger by the day check them out hope all goes well with your search [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 12:37 PM
chrispolaris

What about like ArcticCat or Yamaha's 50?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 08:24 PM
faaiish

Chris Polaris,

My six year old has a Polaris Predator 50, it is a great ATV. I have had only one problem with it since I bought it and that is when the motor is hot the starter cannot spin the motor quick enough to get it started. So you have to kick start it. Other than that it is a great little atv. As for power I do alot of riding in the mountains and this bike will pull up a long and large grade without complaint and will maintain speed. I have even ridden the little atv around the yard and it pulls my 200+ pounds without hesitation. The only problem I see is for leg room it is a smaller platform than alot of other mini's. My recommendation to you is actually purchase the Predator 90 or the Sportsman 90 (if you feel you son can handle the bigger atv). I know that they are recommended for 12 to 16 years olds but you can keep the speed limiter on them and keep them at around 15 mph top speed. My older son has a Sportsman 90 and it is a rock solid performer. It has a higher top speed after you pull off the speed limiters of around 30 mph so when your son gets older it will still be interesting to him.
As for the 50's I checked out most of the the mini's, Kasea, Kymco, E-ton, The Yamaha Raptor, and the Suzuki 50 which is the same as Kawasaki's. The e-ton is about the same as the predator 50 but without the cool graphic's. The Kymco is a 50 on the same frame as a 90 which is great so that the child can grow into it but the motor holds you back quite a bit when he gets older (but there are mods available). The Raptor 50 has some nice features a shaft drive 4 stroke, but you can tell it lacks in power greatly compared to the Predator as well as the Suzuki. The Suzuke also lacked greatly compaired to the predator. If you check out the May 2004 issue of 4 wheel ATV action they do a quad showdown between the Polaris Predator 50 and the KFX 50.
As for me I like the Polaris, I am stuck on a good thing, my family owns three of the sportsman 90's and have used them a variety of terrains for over 2 years without doing anything but changing plugs and brakes. The Polaris 50 was bought this spring for my youngest and it has over 300 miles logged in riding it on trails like Hatfield and McCoy trails in West Virginia. Which it handled with no problem except it got stuck a couple of times due to the small ground clearance in the rear.
I know this reply was long but hopefully it helps in your decision.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Radconrob

My son is 7 and he is on a xtreme tantrum 100. They are pretty cheap if you go to www.hobbytimemotorsports.com I paid 1650 for a new one. My son is tall for his age but as big around as my little finger and he does great on it. We looked at the 50 but it is just to small. Haveing a quad that fits his size sets him at the proper riding technique instead of teaching him bad habbits. Have him sit on the 50 and then have him sit on the 90 or 100 to see which on feels better to him. Don't worry about the speed or power of the bigger one because they have throttle control on them so you can set it to his riding level. Good luck <font color="blue"> </font color>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 01:30 PM
atv4kids

use caution when you pick a quad for an underage kid the CPSC is going to start a program for atv safety it looks like the parents are going to fined or something of that nature if there child is riding a bike that is not within there age limit like 50cc for any child under the age of 12 and 13 and older can ride a 90cc until they are 16 take a look at the labels on the bikes if there are none i wouldnt buy it not safe for my child remember a quad can be replaced but not our kids if we all follow the rules that the cpsc as set forth we can ride for a long time if not we will be looking a some pretty stiff fines so we need to follow these rules to ride forever i know we all know aa 90 cc is to small for a 16 year old kid but there is a reason for this and we can only change the laws or rules if we vote so again take a look at what the manufacture labels on the bike and follow the required age limits of these quads [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Radconrob

I understand what you are saying, but my child was to tall for the 50cc and very uncomfortable. This would lead to losing intrest in riding. Maybe they should look at the average size of a 16 yr old kid and realize that they are causing more damage then help. My son is bored with the speed and power of this size quad... How would a 16 yr old feel? Some kids are more advanced then others and maybe they sould leave this up to the parents. I know my kid better than some person making these rules. I have full confidence in my sons riding ability and know what can and cannot be replaced. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 03:56 PM
atv4kids

i agree with you but because some parents dont know and send there kid out on a 250 and next thing you know you are standing at the hospital that is why they made these rules and again they are not a law yet but if people refuse to play by the rules they will become law and we dont want that we want the right to say my kid can do it but the more injuries there are the faster we will have new laws for someone else to say your kid cant and that sucks so again be careful out there in your decission and listen to what the manufacture say they have to live by these rules [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 11:41 PM

You Just can't Beat the New 2005 Yamoto ATVs!
50cc is fully automatic, with a remote control kill switch, and lanyard kill switch. Sporty style in 5 colors, and capable of going 32MPH stock with me (210lbs) in it, or use the throttle limiter to limit it's top speed. Retail Price $1094!

Or what about the Raptor Style Yamoto 70cc ATV?
Even the Yamaha 80cc Raptor can't compete with this Bad Boy!
This ATV has all the feature you expect in a much more expensive ATV, and only costs $1299.
http://www.jrfriesmotorsports.com

Visit J.R. Fries Motorsports Online at Youth ATVs Online. com!
Click the link above to find out more! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:53 AM
Rena

I am having somewhat the same problem. My Son turned 9 in Feb. and is 5' tall and weighs 110lbs.I know there is Age requirements but what size atv should I get when the child is very big for their age, and still growing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode