what is the best ,fastest, reliable.90cc to buy... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 09:23 PM
coray

what is the best ,fastest, reliable.90cc to buy...

Im looking at all of the 90cc atvs. honda,polaris,and e-ton. dont know what to buy.Its for my 12 year old nephew. He weighs 80 lbs.and is small for his age. I let him drive my quad with me on the back and he knows how to use a clutch good. I just dont trust him on a bigger atv, alone. hes great on the dirt roads but when it comes to hills and the trails,and the trees. A larger is a hand full for him.---better safe than sorry. So, what 90cc atv is the fastest in stock form? Is a full-automatic better(more power) than a semi -auto. He likes the looks of the predator, but he likes to shift. Can anyone help me? thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 11:02 PM

Re: what is the best ,fastest, reliable.90cc to buy...

I have a 2003 Predator 90 for my 9 year old 120 lb son. He loves its looks, its deep suspension and automatic transmission. Press on the gas and go. Me, being his trail pit mechanic, I have a different perspective.

The Pred-90 has lots of bottom end power. It pulls my 245 lbs butt around with ease. It's easy to steer and do donuts with. Yes, it does look nice as well.

From a mechanical perspective, here's the scope:
- It has has huge air vent opening around its transmission belt. On the white board, more air in this area sounds great. If you do deep water riding, water instantly goes into this area. Belt slippage every time.
- Water & dirt also gets into its Stator Coil system (re: its flywheel area). 8 out of 10 who do water riding will have to get their Stator Coil system replaced. I've communicated with a few who are running on their 3rd stator coil. And yes, this replacement part is very expensive.
- For the weight of the unit, the Pred-90 has too thin of a rear chain. The chain is always stretching. Loose chain means more wear / tear and the high risk of it coming off.
- The Pred-90's frame is made for "around the house" and minor trail riding. For extreme trails and/or racers who have lots of bumps / jumps, its frame should be re-inforced. Some weld in 45 degree braces by its rear shock area. Without this brace and factory shock upgrade, the frame will break. Again, only for those rough trail / track conditions.
- The Pred-90 doesn't come with a Front Light. To me, a front light for our dark bush is mandatory.
- The Pred-90 doesn't come with a padded cross member handle bars. To me, this is a mandatory safety design.

Would my son want another Pred-90 again? Without hesitation!!! Would I want to purchase a Pred-90 again? Probably NOT. If I had to do it again (based on what I know today), I'd take a more serious look at the E-Ton Viper (with reverse) and the Kasea 90 brands. I'd probably go with the E-Ton Viper 90R for our deep mud trails.

Within the 90cc range, they all do 30 (or so) MPH. Some take off faster then others. The Pred-90 in stock form does have lots of bottom end power. My son, and many of his riding buddies also love the automatic transmission.

For the Honda, they have a great 4 stroke engine. Many say their engine is near bullet proof. However, many parents tolerate its pull cord. If Honda would design / install an electric starter in their 70/90 units, they'd regain some of the market share.

Hope this helps...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 09:36 AM

Here's a few more things to keep in mind...

For the Kasea, I'd do the following:
- Purchase its optional front light
- Purchase 3rd party nerf bars. Some are basic nerf bars and a few protect the riders from accidently siding their feet into the front & back wheels. Sorry, I can't remember the brand. Anyway, nerf bars are much safer then its factory foot pegs
- At stock, I've read the Kasea has "average" take off speed. If you upgrade its muffer and air filter, this brand has immediate take-off power.
- Install a Spring Loaded chain tensioner.

For the E-Ton, I'd perform the following:
- Replace its factory front bumper. I've read from many that its front bumper digs from very rough bumps.
- Install Spring Loaded Chain tensioner on it.
- Purchase its optional front light

For either brand, I'd purchase:
- Front light for trails in a dark bush. And, when you get caught in the dark.
- Install a Skid Plate. For your unique riding conditions, select plastic, thin metal/tin or customized 1/8" thick aluminum.
- Make their wheelbase a little wider. Some use 1" wheel spacers and others purchase wider 2"(+) A-Arms. Some folks get their local welder guy to widen their factory A-Arms.
- If you do lots of hill climbing, widen its Swing Arm 2"(+). Some replace their Swing Arm and others get their local welder guy to lengthen it.
- Repace back tires with wider back tires. The wide tires on our Pred-90 are great in the mud, snow and most sand conditions. If you are going to upgrade factory rims, try to find wider rims and purchase wider back rubber.
- If you do lots of rough riding, upgrade its factory shocks. Many like the Works Performance shocks. If you widen its A-Arms &/or Swing Arm, upgrading its factory shocks is mandatory.

Hope this helps as well...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 10:10 AM
coray

I ALSO LIKE THE PREDATOR, UNTILL YOU TOLD ME ABOUT THE PROBLEMS THEY HAVE WHEN THE BELT GETS WET. WITH ALL OF THESE KNOCK OFF BRAND HOW RELIABLE ARE THEY? HOW HARD ARE THEY TO GET PARTS FOR. THERE IS A KASEA,ETON,AND ALPHASPORTS DEALER NEAR ME. ALL THE 90CC IN STOCK FORM TOP OUT AROUND 30-35. OUT OF THOSE BRANDS WHICH ONE TAKES OFF THE BEST(BOTTOM END). IS THE HONDA WITH THE SEMI AUTO BETTER IN BOTTOM END. IM STILL STUMPED. THEY ALL HAVE THEYRE GOOD AND BAD POINTS, WISH I CAN DECIDE.(LOOKS ,RELIABLE,MANTIENCE,RESALE,PARTS.? [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 11:30 AM

YES - All brands of min-Quads do have their pros / cons within their engineering design. Or, upgrade items that should be done for one's unique riding conditions. On the Pred-90 line, belt slippage only happens for up to 1 minute - after going through water that's above 1/2 way up its engine. To my son, belt slippage isn't the big deal. The expensive stator replacements and "average construction" frame that gets me going.

As a suggestion, find someone in your neighbourhood and/or local deailers who have practice riding areas. Ask your nephew to take each brand for a little spin, and see what his feedback his. Two of my dealers have hay fields behind their place. Approx 4 times a year (re: after they hay is cut), they allow customers to take the units for a little spin. Their speed control is turned way down, but it does allow someone to take their "possible purchase" for a little road test. If your nephew is the one who will be driving it, he should have a choice in selecting what brand and/or colour he likes best. Likes from an "ease of controls" and riding comfort perspective should always come first. Looks "should" be his last selection to consider.

If you are looking <nobr>for </nobr>a mini that has the fasted "stock" take off speed, you may want to focus on the LT80. In stock form, I've read many posts stating this brand leaves the others in the dust. However, on rough ground the engine case on the LT80 sometimes breaks. LT80 has has expensive parts - compared to the others. Also, the LT80 doesn't come with a factory front light. Very expensive 3rd party upgrade.

Looks?? Yes, that's a very hard one to overcome. My wife loves<nobr> Ford Mu</nobr>stangs. She'd purchase another one within a second. After her 3 Mustangs, 4 engines, 3 transmissions, 2 rear axles, 2 complete suspensions, etc. later, she'd still pick this brand again. She loves their style, the way people admire it when she drives it, etc. For me, I run away fro<nobr>m the M</nobr>ustang line. I'm sure my son feels the same proudness about his Predator 90. Don't get me wrong. The Predator 90 is a really great brand. Just keep it away from deep water and exteme rough bumps (unless your re-enforce its frame).

If I had a choice again, I'd set my microscope on the Kasea, BLAST/LRX &amp; E-Ton brands. From there, pick which one you like the best. Then, upgrade the parts you need for your unique riding conditions (or better safety / controls).

Hope my above "try to take each brand for a test ride" suggestion helps as well.

Also, when you type something using capitals on the internet it means that you are YELLING at someone. Based on your friendly tone, you probably aren't aware of this. If the future, you may want to use small size text and only use caps when you want to emphasize something.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 11:53 AM

As another suggestion, register on the following FREE mini-Quad forums and post your same "Polaris, Kasea, Honda or E-Ton?" question:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/cate...m/catid/10.cfm

http://forums.atvsource.com/viewforum.php?f=11

http://miniatv.proboards23.com/index.cgi

http://atvnation.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x

After you do that, stand back and watch the many postings. Immediately, you'll notice BRAND SPECIFIC folks and the folks who don't care about brands - they only care about keeping their kid happy on any brand of mini they've selected.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 01:59 PM
coray

Thanks for all the info. I'll do a little more research on the kasea,eton,and predator. I'll get back to you and let you know how it works out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2004, 05:45 PM
atv4kids

you might want to check out the desert cat from unison motorsports these quads rock you can see them at unison-atv.com they are new but look real sharp and fast on the takeoff and good top end [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 08:58 PM
coray

Thanks for the info, but just bought a new eton viper. Love it. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 08:42 PM
faaiish

Spike,
My son has a Sportsman 90, and I have not experienced any of the belt slippage problems that you have mentioned earlier. He drives a great deal accross streams and seems to find every mud hole that is out there. I don't know it the additional plastic gives it a little more protection or I have just been lucky so far. What concerns me more than a wet belt is that the Air Filter is placed right behind the left front wheel. This allows alot of water and mud to be thrown right on the Air Box. I have heard there is aftermarket relocation kits but I have not been able to find them at this time. Do you have any idea's where to look. Also, you mentioned another issue I tried to deal with on the 90, Lack of lights. I placed driving lights on the ATV but the stator output was not enough to keep the battery charged. Do you know of any place's to purchase light kits (or a larger output stator) for the ATV.
It seemed like you have done a great deal of looking into these machines. I am starting to do that but I havent found alot of buisnesses that deal with the mini atv's. Just the high dollar sports quads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode