e-ton 90 performance help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 11:54 PM
mrv64

e-ton 90 performance help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished installing a technigas pipe on my boy's quad. It came with new clutch springs and variator rollers. I have added a k&n pod filter new top end (stock bore) and stock sprockets. I have not rejetted yet but new jets are on order. The problem I am having is the clutch does not engage till the engine is wound out at full throttle. Since this is the first automatic I have worked on I am unsure where to start. I have a feeling the belt probbably needs to be replaced because it is a 99 model. But I would think it would still engage. I would be thankfull for any help. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 04:13 PM
bncracing

Re: e-ton 90 performance help

Hi,

A couple of things come to mind:

First, don't run the bike with the stock jet while using the pod filter and pipe. It will be waaaay too lean and can lead to engine damage. The stock jet is around .82 - .85. Going to the pod filter changes the jet requirement to as much as 110. Adding the pipe will make it go higher, though I'd start with a .110.

Second, the purpose of the new cluth springs and rollers is to allow the engine rpm to run in the power band of the pipe. This can seem odd at first especially if your intentions are to trail ride. However, if the clutch won't engage unless you are holding full throttle, then something is wrong. The target engagement speed (for motocross) is to have the clutch engage about the same time the pipe comes on, otherwise there will be a lag. Engagement speed is controlled by the little clutch springs. If the ones provided in the kit are too stiff, then you should replace them with a weaker set.

Tuning the variator is another animal. If you have a scale, weigh the original and new rollers. The new rollers should be definately lighter. I don't know the weight of either off hand, but a good place to start is 4.5 - 5.5g. The roller weights control the rpm when shifting occurs. Stock rollers are akin to you driving your automatic car in normal driving conditions: a little gas and the transmission will shift to the next higher gear. Using lighter rollers is akin to pressing the gas pedal harder which allows the engine to wind up higher before shifting. Again, the target is to get the shifting curve inside the pipes power band. Too heavy, and the bike will lug. Too light, and the engine will screem but you'll not get anywhere (like staying in 3rd gear).

It is also likely that installing a larger jet will make a difference since you engine is currently starving for gas.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:35 PM
mrgeorge

Re: e-ton 90 performance help

Dave is right on the money. Further, belt stretch would have little to do with engagement speed, but rather would affect your "top gear" ratio (you might lose some top speed).

The rollers should be correct from the pipe supplier as long your mods are similar to what they used when coming up with the correct weights. Keep in mind that the roller weights' function is ONLY to maintain engine speed while the clutches vary the drive ratio through the mph range. This engine rpm should correspond to the rpm the motor makes peak hp, which is likely higher than stock. Make sure your pipe supplier knows which machine and cc your quad is to verify he sent the correct rollers.

I can also offer that Tecnigas has made a change to their pipe and has redesigned the front pipe. I've dynoed both configs and the new design (much larger diameter) is much improved.

If you can't wait to get your jets, you can drill the stock one. see the chart at www.i-zapp.com/jet_sizing.pdf

Geo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode