Another newbie in the Quad world with questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 01:46 AM
Biggie

Another newbie in the Quad world with questions

As I have seen posted before I am yet another newbie looking for a little direction. My son son and I are new to the Quad world and he is extremely interested in racing. We live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and looking for a club and additional information on racing. But the initial issues are how to improve performance at the most effective rate.

My son is 9 years old and currently owns a 50 CC (not even sure of the brand due to it not being labeled even though we bought it brand new from a local pawnshop). He does pretty well on it but I want to improve the performance of it and also having a few problems with it mechanically. Currently it seems not to hold a charge so whenever he wants to ride he has to charge it for ten minutes or so and then proceed. It also seems that it could use some fine tuning considering I have to use starting fluid almost everytime to start it. Are there any magazines that anyone would suggest to get my son and I on the right track. <font color="black"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 05:16 PM

Re: Another newbie in the Quad world with questions

As a suggestion, visit many mini-quad racing tracks in your area and if possible, wiggle your way into their pit area. While there, look at the different brands of minis, look at their different mods, look at their different engine sizes compared to the age of their respective drivers. Some races are pure stock, some are "limited" mods and some racing mods are limited by "the max depth of their sponor's pocket". One of my buddies told me he seen a racing mini that had over $13,000 of mods into it. For starting out, you'd probably want to start with pure stock, then work your way up into the "limited" stock races. While in the pits and if the timing is right, talk to the pit crews, talk to their sponsors, etc. From there, decide if you want to fix your current 50cc mini, upgrade to a 90cc and if upgrading to a better mini, determine what the majority of brands that are being used at the races. If the majority are driving brand xyz, then they are probably the better and easier brand to apply mods to. Talk to many people "in the pits" because they are the ones who will tell you what racing is really all about... Many have told me that "racers have their own culture &amp; ethics". "Win at all cost or be destroyed" mind-set that many great trail riders aren't used to.

Hope this helps...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 04:56 PM
bncracing

Re: Another newbie in the Quad world with question

Welcome to the sport.

As a "Win at all cost.." kind of dad, I agree with Spike90. Check it out first. It's a lot of fun, but can be very expensive. However, $13,000 mini quads are rare. In most cases, that kind of spending is the sum of the total investment which may have occured over several years of experimentation trying to beat other "Win at all cost.." dads.

As far a having to use starting fluid, many of the mini's suffer from PACS, or Poor Automatic Choke Syndrome. An easy answer is to squeeze the snorkle pipe for a few seconds while cranking.

For the battery, first clean the connections. Then, with eveything turned off, put a multimeter (if you have access to one) in series between the positive post and the wire to see if there is any current drain. If so, you have a short. The next best thing to fixing it is to disconnect the ground wire when you're done riding for the day. If there's no short, then either the battery won't hold a charge, or the stator (the ignition coils that produce electicity to run the bike) is bad. That's a tougher one to diagnose. If the battery is old, then it may be the problem. Again, a multimeter would be needed to check the charging voltage. I'm guessing it needs to be around 14 volts. Please correct me, anyone who is in the know. However, if the battery won't hold a charge overnight, then I would guess it to be bad.

Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode