Pred-90 "proactive" Back Brake Inspection & Fix... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Pred-90 \"proactive\" Back Brake Inspection & Fix...

Within the many ATV Forums that I surf, I came across 2 different postings from people who stated the back brakes on their '03 Pred-90 suddenly stopped working. The one guy stated his kid was going down a steep hill, its back brakes suddenly stopped working, and his kid wiped out at the bottom. Not too much pain to his kid, but it could have been much worse!!! Another guy complained he tighten its back brake so much, he had to remove its arm from its grooved stud and turn it back 1 notch - because his unit's brake arm kept hitting its factory 45 degree rear plastic guard bracket.

If wondering what the "design improvement" is.... Remove the rear plastic guard on your Pred-90 unit, have your kid squeeze the rear brake handle, and watch how close the brake lever arm is from the rear plastic's steel 45 degree support bracket. For our unit, the clearance distance was 1/8-1/4" away. Way too close for my comfort!!! To me, the back plastic guard steel bracket should have been made at a 90 degree angle. At 45 degrees, the brake arm is either too close or it hits the steel support bracket.

For us, I drove my kid's quad to my local welder guy (he only lives 3 blocks away) and got him redesign / re-weld its right plastic steel bracket. He charged me $20.00 to remove the factory 45 degree steel bracket and replace with a 90 degree steel bracket. He even used the original 10 mm bolt, so I wouldn't have to worry about fussing with a nut on the other side of the steel bracket. By comparing the left and right steel brackets (within my online pictures), you'll see the difference and how much clearance the brake cable now has. Since having back brakes is a BIG safety concern, you may want to perform the same inspection &/or structure improvements on your Pred-90 unit. For us, this $20.00 weld job structure improvement was well worth it!!!

Just for the heck of it, you may want to pull the rear axle shield off your Pred-90 and inspect for a "comfortable" clearance gap against its rear plastic guard steel bracket. I'm not too sure how this bracket is designed on the '04 Pred-90 models - but it's worth inspecting...

For a visual, surf the middle row pictures within: Press Here

PS. Some people remove and hammer the brake level arm on slight angle. This also gives it a larger clearance gap. To me, this bending pulls the grove stud sideways every time the brake is applied. If you want "aligned" brake cable pull during brake usage, get the rear bracket re-engineered / re-welded into a 90 degree angle. This worked great for our '03 Pred-90 unit....

Hope this helps increase the safety on your Pred-90 as well...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode