Pred-90 Chain Tensioner - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Pred-90 Chain Tensioner

If you are thinking about installing an optional chain tensioner of your '03 Pred-90 unit, here's some cut / paste info I put into another mini-quad forum.

< --------------------------- >

I received "PART # ATVCT92S" tonight and immediately noticed its internal documentation stated this part is for a "Sportsman, Scrambler and Predator". Sure hope they update their web site with the Pred-90 model info as well. That would reduce reader's confusion when they read the details within: http://www.hpd-inc.com/misc.html

Like most of us with a new part, I went into immediate action. It bolted on perfectly to our '03 Pred-90 unit. The top of its chain is also tight and no longer rubs on the top of its Swing Arm bar (with NO rider is on it). One thing I don't like is that you have to remove its under axle steel chain guard. We do lots of logs and rock riding and without the factory steel guard, its chain or back sprocket might get damaged very quickly. Other then this, the HPD `Spring Loaded` chain tensioner looks like it will work great. Great for jumps and reducing the number of times one has to tighten its chain. I'm also told it will make your chain and sprockets last much longer and dramatically reduce its risk of coming off its sprockets.

< ------------------------------ >

HPD Chain Tensioner &amp; factory guard update:

A few moments ago, I headed into my garage and customized its factory chain guard to fit with our new HPD "Spring Loaded" Chain tensioner. As I was looking at the chain guard, I immediately noticed a big inward dent on its underside. Without a factory chain guard on our '03 Pred-90 unit, the hard item that made "that big of dent" would have easily broken its back sprocket.

To modify the '03 Pred-90 factory guard, here's the steps I used: 1 - Get a piece of thin cardboard and hold it against the inward side of the factory chain guard. Mark around the outside and use scissors to cut the image out. 2 - Hold the duplicate cardboard in place - under the Pred-90 unit. Ensure you line up the bottom hole and use a pencil and scissors to make it fit into place. Ensure you leave approx 1/2" space where the HPD roller moves up/down. 3 - Hold the reformed thin cardboard against the factory chain guard and mark what needs to be cut. The hole is approx 2.5" by 3.5". 4 - Use a jigsaw with a steel bit or grinder, cut the marked area away. 5 - Fit the modified chain guard and ensure it fits without touching the HPD chain tensioner. For me, I had to do a little more curve corner trimming with a hand grinder. 6 - After you think it should fit, drill another support hole in the factory chain guard. To my surprise, there's another drilled / threaded hole on the axle hub. It's under the axle area and its very hard to see. I'm not too sure why Polaris spent the time to create a threaded hole and didn't use it. 7 - Install the chain guard. For the extra support hole you drilled in step 6, use the factory bolt you removed when you installed the HPD Chain tension. 8 - After its all bolted together, have a heavy person jump up / down on the seat to ensure there's enough movement space for the HPD tensioner. I asked my wife to jump up / down on the seat but she wasn't heavy enough to test the full compression movements. A tether strap can also be used to test HPD tensioner movement under full suspension compression.

For the above, it took me a little over 1 hour to complete. To save the back sprocket from accidental damage it's well worth the time.

To view pictures, surf: Press Here

Note: Click on each thumbnail picture to enlarge it. Some also use the "View SlideShow" button located on its screen. To download the picture, right click on the "enlarged image" and select "Save Picture As" selection.

Hopefully, this will help others with an '03 Pred-90.

< ----------------------------- >

Just to clarify some "why a chain tensioner???" inquires that have come my way....

IMO: The lack of a chain tensioner is NOT a problem or an issue if your kid only does around the "around the house" and minor trail riding. If your kid does "wild trails", lots of jumps or you get tired of tightening its chain, then a chain tensioner would: - Reduce the risk of the chain coming off - especially during jumps. - Reduce wear / tear on your sprockets and chain. A "firm tension" chain creates much less wear then a loose chain. - Reduces the amount of time you have to tighten its chain. - Stops the chain from pinging its Swing Arm bar. - With no rider, stops the chain from resting on the top of its Swing Arm bar. With a rider, the chain does NOT constantly rub the top of this bar.

Note: Many of the above benefits applies to other brands of quads as well.

For the casual driver, an optional chain tensioner "is optional". If you do serious riding or racing, then a chain tensioner is close to the "mandatory mark". Many racers and serious trail riders state they are mandatory. Since the '04s have factory chain tensioners, it proves that Polaris now recognizes the need for this "Spring Loaded" part.

For us, we do lots of "wild trail" riding and jumps. While jumping, its chain would only have to come off its sprockets once, and it could create massive mechanical damage or make my kid wipe out. (Ouch!!) For the minimum amout of $70 dollars, we've now eliminated that safety risk on our '03 model. Who knows, maybe there's been lots of accidents and that's why there is a factory chain tensioner on the 04 Pred-90 model? Something to think about....

Hope this helps others with their '03 Pred-90... .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode