Youth Quad Safety - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 04:08 PM
nevadaoutlaw

Youth Quad Safety

I have been reading much press regarding youth ATV and safety. I just want to make sure I am following all the suggested guidelines regarding my sons safety. He has a Kasea 90 stock and he is 6 years old and a very safe rider. I am going to bullet a all the safety issues I am aware of and if I miss any I please comment and add to list.

- keep throttle governed so speed is regulated.
- youth wears all protective gear. (helmet, chest protector)
- will ride on safe and relatively flat trails
- always supervised by an adult
- whip flag always
- auto kill switch clipped to chest protector

Misc. or "should I" do for safety

- improve suspension (a-arms or shocks)
- increase wheel base

I am very concerned because my son flipped his Kasea several months ago (my fault) and it scared the hell out of me. He was fine but I don't want it to happen again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 08:33 PM

Re: Youth Quad Safety

Below is something I posted on another forum approx 1 month ago... It's contents may help your safety inquire as well....

http://forums.atvsource.com/viewtopi...ht=perspective

< -------------------------------- >

Regarding safety and "how much is too much?" all depends on the kid and your unique riding conditions.

We have many trail friends we go riding with. There's one 14 year old we go riding with who should NEVER be allowed to drive a Quad. He's going to kill himself of another some day. Good thing we don't ride with him very often. There's a 9 year old who's been driving mini-quads for 4 years. He still can't control his TRX-70 in a safe manner. Each time he goes out he ends up rolling, end/end flipping it or driving it into a tree. And I've seen a 7 year old who drives safer then I'll ever drive. Just like automobile drivers, there's good ones and bad ones. Too bad our reporters only focus on the bad drivers, and assume the majority of the good ones are an accident waiting to happen.

Like many, it took our family a while to find the balance of enough safety and still "have safe run" balance. Each kid and their unique riding conditions is different...

Hope this helps....

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 08:03 PM

Here's another site you may want to review....

http://www.atvsafety.org/

Hope this helps...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 08:43 AM
bncracing

Riding atv's is dangerous, but so is swimming, playing football and even cheer leading (more so than avt riding as studies indicate)! Widening and lengthing lowers the center of gravity and makes the bike harder to roll. This is what we do for racing. It will also make trail riding safer, too so it's not a bad idea.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 10:16 AM

A agree with Dave (bncracing)... Widening and lengthing its wheel base does help. It does make the unit "more safer" then its factory design. Just like in <nobr>automobile</nobr> driving, safety boils down to driver's knowing their own skills limit, machine limits and the bad things that could happen to them around the corner.

Like many, I have to carpool 50 minutes into work every day. For the last 20 years, I've seen "some real winners" behind their steering wheels. Such things as; Loud muffler systems, zig / zagging, chaning lanes without looking behind them, purposely cutting each other off, etc. Our reporters seem to accept this style of driving. When it comes to quads, some folks immediately get emotional when you mention the words "<nobr>mini</nobr>, quad, youth, racing or rough trail riding" in the same sentance. They get emotional when talking on their cell phone, cleaning their nails and driving their <nobr>car</nobr> at the same time. Go figure????

I guess it will take a few more years for our society to realize mini-quads driven under control (just like people and their <nobr>cars</nobr>) are a very safe <nobr>vehicle</nobr>. To me, they are much safer then motocross and those 120mph snowmobile units. Something to think of....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode