help i'm new - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Shirk

help i\'m new

I want to get a used four wheeler but I dont know where to start. you see I live on a farm and four the past five years I've been dirtbiking on a Yamaha Pw 80 and have had very few trubles but now it is two slow four me. what type of atv should i get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2004, 01:43 PM

Re: help i\'m new

Welcome to this forum....

What type of ATV to get for your unique riding conditions??? That's a very hard question and could be debated for many years. Here's a few items to help you narrow down your selection...

- If you will be using your Quad for "working" around the farm, then you are probably looking for a Utility type quad. Something with front and back racks. If you are into Trail Riding only, then focus on the sporty / racing looking quads. These are designed for better high speed and fast bump riding conditions.

- If your farm is dry or won't be doing snow plowing &/or trailing pulling, then a 2 wheel drive quad is fine. For pulling, mud, etc., you'd probably want to focus on a 4x4 type unit.

- Your frame & engine size question is a really good one.... Since you didn't specify your age, body size or weight, here's something to think of. If you are just entering into your "growing spirt" and both your parents are physically big, one would assume you'll have a big body size as well. At 14 I was very small (the size of many 11/12 year olds). At age 17, I was 20 lbs larger then the after 18 year old. My growing spirt didn't hit until 16-17. If you are a few months away from your growing spirt, try to purchase a quad that fits your body for today.

- If you are looking at 4x4 models, purchase one engine size larger. 4x4s are geared low and in deep mud, one usually needs the extra torque.

- If possible, inquire if your parents can purchase it under their Farm business. Your quad "could" become a Farm tool expense deduction (or capital with yearly depreciation) tax benefits. If you purchase it, you won't have any tax advantage. ssshhhh.... Did I write this???

- Not knowing your age or exact unique riding conditions, I would visit lots of Quad Dealers in your area, and obtain a "body size fitting" first. As a suggestion, try to rent your favorite 3 brands / engine sizes for 2 days. Some places do rent them. After riding each of your best 3 selections for a day, you'll quickly "feel & decide" what's best for you.

Hope this helps...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 06:54 PM
Veteran

Re: help i\'m new

if you work on the land get a utility. if you ride fun and want to race, get a honda 90. ive seen alot of kids race those..... make sure you get all new parts for it if you want to race. if you race a stock quad, you will feel like you have no suspension. that may sound expensive, but if you get sponsors and they help you out, you might end up paying nothing in some cases. hope this helps and if you race, good luck and dont ride over your head! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode