Is 4.5 too young for a 90 cc ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 11:44 PM
HgirlsMom

Is 4.5 too young for a 90 cc ??

This may be a crazy question - knowing that all 4.5 year olds are not created equally but I thought I'd throw it out for discussion ... My husband and I (mainly him) are looking to purchase our daughter (s) a 'real' 4-wheeler. 3ne is 4.5 and the younger is barely 3 --we ride them on our bikes (350 Warrior & 250 Honda two wheel bike (forget the letters - CRX maybe - two stroke for sure) anyway we ride then on them fairly often so they have experience 'riding' a real bike. They have battery powered 4-wheelers (Peg Perego T-Rex) and John Deere Gator ... ok maybe these don't count BUT they do drive them and I feel are getting some type of experience with 'handling' a moving object. We have a large piece of mainly open property (10 acres) and they do very well with the battery things. We went our riding the real bikes today and met up with a friend who had a 110cc off brand bike - I rode with the girls on it and it was too much for them and the 3 y/o could not comfortably keep her feet on the board/pegs. My main question is - will most 90cc be any smaller frame wise and can they truely be governed down to what a 4 y/0 can handle (thinking the 3 y/o will just have to wait or only ride with me on back). - I don't want to get a 50 that is going to need replacing in 6 months but I don't want to get a bike that they can't handle for 6 months either. So is a 90 just to much for a 4.5 y/o - with minimal experience or can it truley be goverened down to her abilty. She is fairly large for her age - easily the size of an average 6 y/o so height should not be a problem. Any opinions are appreciated [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
JB in FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 11:36 AM
paul407

Re: Is 4.5 too young for a 90 cc ??

I went through the same thing. I have a 4.5 year old and 3 year old boy. I did not want the 4.5 year old to outgrow the 50cc that I was going to purchase. Both ride the battery operated ATV's and Quads and I have four batteries always charging. I bought the 50cc instead of the 90cc for several reasons:

1. They hold their value no matter what. Parents are always looking for them. Just look in the cycle trader publication. Old ones from 1989 are still going for a thousand bucks and you will never have a problem selling them.

2. Once my 4.5 year old outgrows it, I can will it to my 3 year old who will, in all reality, be 4 when he starts to ride.

3. There is a huge physical size difference between the 50 and the 90. I watch my 4.5 on the 50 and he is getting very comforatable with it. He wips around on it with alot of confidence and it getting used to the hand brake concept and throttle acceleration. Conversely, I watch my 7 year old niece on her 90 and she is barely starting to get comfortable with it and still does not shift the gears yet.

4. The 50cc is also direct drive (no gears to shif) and for any kid starting out, this is one less thing to think about.

So I went witht the 50cc an have no regrets whatsoever. Next year, I will by my 4.5 year old (who will be 5.5) a 90cc and will it down to my younger son.

The worst thing you want to do is put your 4.5 year old on a 90cc and have him/her become scared or get intimidated by it and not want to ride at all. Remember, there is a huge difference between mashing on the accelerator of the battery operated quad / ATV and the throttle of a 90cc. Get the 50cc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 10:09 PM
HgirlsMom

Re: Is 4.5 too young for a 90 cc ??

Thanks for the good advice! After reading your post and doing a bit more research myself I have ruled out the 90cc. Our neighbors have a 50cc Eton - that from what the mom says - is more than plenty for her kids ages 3, 5 & 7 . Plan to take my girls over there and give it a test drive and see how they do with it. The also have another type of vehicle for kids - that is from what I gather a supped DOWN go Kart with a shell that looks like a Hummer. They have a Tecumseh (sp?) engine and the mom claims they are a nice step between the battery powered toys and the real ATV's - so we may get one of those first .. but all is still up in the air! These decisions! Summer is coming and we will be ATVing less and boating more so I may just wait till next fall to do anything! Riding around here in the summer is just plain yucky! We go to the place in Palm Bay (the compound) since its very close to our home (20 minutes) and it's like a dust bowl! Husband doesn't mind much .. but that's not for me! :0

JB in FL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode