im new someone help me - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 08:27 AM
Bandageman

im new someone help me

ok first off what is the difference between a ATV and a quad. what kind of ATV?Quad would be best for a beginner whos 5"3 112 and 14? thanks for all of your help if any one replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 10:35 AM
bluetickracing

Re: im new someone help me

An ATV and quad are the same thing .Quad meaning 4-wheeler.There all types and models for a child that age.Check out all the dealers in your area. I try to keep the dealer close to home. It makes it nice to get good service and parts, if there close to home. But you do have the option of the Internet to get parts.I would keep the cc's in the range of 150 to 250. Honda makes a 250 ex, Yamaha makes a Blaster,Suz and Kaw also make nice quads in the 160 to 250 range. Search the web for all the makes and models. EXample go to their web pages Suzuki, Kaw,Honda Yamaha.This may save some time shopping and give you an idea of what the child may like.Not telling you what to do, but I let my son pick the quad he likes. I'll narrow it down to a few I feel he can handle and let him have the final say.Here is a funny story , why I let them pick. I bought my 5 yr old a Red quad. I totally moded the quad out. When he rode it he wasn't rideing it like I knew he could. I asked him what's wrong. He said Red quads aren't racers. My best friend races a green KFX 400 KAW. He said green quads are for racing. Well I ordered green plastic and I told him I was selling his quad and getting him a green quad for racing. We switched the plastic, and took him rideing. He rode the very same quad like a pro. So if they like something and had some say in it It may help them feel more at ease on it. This is just my 2 cents worth hope this helps.

#838 01 Polini X3 works- Michaels
#838 01 Husqvarna CR-50 Jr-Michaels
03 Suzuki lt-80-Michaels
#838 04 Arctic Cat 50- Michaels- Pipe, Jetted, Malossi reed block and reeds,Malossi clutch kit, Twin air filter, Dougles alum. wheels and Holeshot tires, DRR cdi.
04 Suzuki DRZ-125- mine
02 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4X4- mine
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 05:10 PM

I agree with BlueTicket 100%.

For over 6 intense months, I searched for a mini-Quad for my 8 year old son. Each time I asked, he wanted yellow. Every time I took him to a showroom floor (for proper body sizing), he immediately didn't like the red, green or blue ones. He wanted yellow. As I was checking out the mechanical items on those minis and asking the sales rep if they came in yellow, my son would sneak away. As I looked around the showroom floor, my son was sitting on a big 250 or 125 yellow one. OK - I got his point, he wanted a yellow one!!!!

One day, we went into a Polaris showroom floor to look at their yellow SP-90 units. My son opened the door, seen the racing looking silver / black Predator 90 and "that was it!!!". I kept telling him to compare the yellow SP-90 model and he kept running back to the Predator 90. Since that day, he's NEVER asked for a yellow model again. Despite how mechanical solid a quad may be, always remember it is the rider who will be riding it. Always take them along your "quad hunt" and ensure they are deeply involved in the selection process. If you don't, you do run the risk of having the newly purchased quad sitting in the corner of the garage all year.

PS. Narrowing your seach down by colour is NOT a signed of having a spoiled kid. After all, I'd NEVER purchase a new car for my wife without her involvement. If your kid will be the one riding it, they should be involved in selecting it too.

Something to think of....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Bandageman

i was also wondering about the quadsport Z400 is their a down size thats cheaper than aroun 2,500? thanks for the help
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 06:29 PM

Yes...

Suziki makes a QuadSport Z250. For a picture, surf: http://gsx.suzuki.com/~sucycles/sr_03/atv/bp_ltz250.htm

They also make a QuadSport 160.

You can obtain specs & pictures from: http://www.suzukicycles.com/

Not too sure about the price of the Z250 or 160 within your area. If you are on a fixed budget, you may have to purchase used. From a safety perspective, I'd purchase a NERF bar for these non-floor board factory units. The NERF bar is an optional steel bar that has a leather type mesh on it. It reduces the rider from accidentally running over their own feet - especially for first time riders.

Hope this helps...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Bandageman

do u know where i could find a used one on the web
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 07:40 PM

As a suggestion, try searching and/or posting "want to buy" within the following:

http://www.ebay.com/
http://forums.atvconnection.com/index.cfm
http://forums.atvsource.com/index.php?
http://atvnation.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x
http://www.predatorowners.com/index.cfm?action=forum
http://www.atvnews.com/forum.cfm/fus...s/forum/46.cfm

Also, check ALL your local Quad & Motocross dealers. Sometimes, they have used Suzuki quads (ATVs) that previous owners have traded in - in order to trade up.

Hope this helps...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Bandageman

i was wondering is this a good quad

Engine Type: 110 (107cc) 4-stroke (<nobr>Honda</nobr> designed), single cylinder engine, Mikum Japanese carburetor, SOHC
Cooling Forced Air Cooled
Starter System Electric and Kick starter
Fuel Tank 1.7 gal, with reserve tank
Transmission System A4 speed w/REVERSE, semi-automatic (auto clutch), 2WD w/SHAFT drive
Suspension System Front Independent A-arm
Rear Single Swing Arm Shock
Brake System Front Double Drum with locking parking brake
Rear Single Adjustable Rear Drum Foot Brake
Size L x W x H Approximately 54" x 35 " x 38"
Seat Height 27 inches
Lighting Front low and high beam integrated lights, rear brake like and reflectors
Safety Engine kill switch, fuel shut-off valve, key lighting, start/brake switch to start engine, reserve gas tank, reflectors, speed limiter, reverse indicator
Throttle Thumb throttle, with adjustable speed restrictor
Colors Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow
Tires Front 19x7-8, Rear 18x9.5-8
Anti-theft Ignition Key switch, VIN, Engine Serial Number
Overall Weight, Size Dry Weight 256 pounds, 61 inches (L) X 34 inches (W) X 38 inches (H)
Wheel Base, Seat Height, Ground Clearance 41 inches, 27 inches, 4.5 inches
Other Items Detailed owners manual and parts manual. Very easy to operate and work on. Parts easy to obtain. Chrome side engine covers and starter cover. Front foot guards. Very stable.
Warranty 1 year engine, 90 day limited warranty (manufacturers warranty)

ZD ATV110 $1,899.00

hers the web site http://www.pacificdirectsports.com/i...amp;product=35
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 05:13 PM

Here's a few things that come to mind:

- Engine Type: 110 (107cc) 4-stroke (Honda designed).
Because it was designed by Honda, does that ALL Honda parts will bit onto it? Honda engines have a reputation of lasting a very long time. Ensure its a Honda "clone" and not designed by Honda that looks like a Polaris motor. In other words, same head, piston, rings, carb, etc.

- Starter System Electric and Kick starter
Electric start is a great thing to have on a quad. Since some starters go (because of water or under designed), how much are their starter replacements?

- Transmission System A4 speed w/REVERSE.
Having Reverse on a quad this size is a good thing. To me, shaft drive is a great thing for water, mud and sand.

Suspension mechanics is the same on all other quads of this size. Is there one on a show room floor you could get your kid to try? Some suspensions are "too stiff" and some are "too soft" Very hard to tell the "behavior" of its factory suspension from a picture.

Drum brakes are the same on other drum brake systems. To me, the foot brake control is a great thing. If your kid will be doing mass amounts of high speed stopping or deep mud riding (like we do), consider a different model with hydrolic disc brakes. For a quad this size, I'd recommend hydrolic disc brakes (especially in the rear) for extreme riders. The next time around, I'd only get a sports quad with rear hydrolic disc brakes.

To me, front lighting is mandatory on all quads. Low beams are great for daytime running lights (like our new cars and snowmobiles). Both high &amp; Low beam is a bonus.

- Anti-theft Ignition Key switch VIN
This sounds like a really great feature.

- Ground clearance 4.5 inches
To me, this seams a little low for this size of quad. If you are doing lots of deep mud or bush riding, consider more ground clearance as a critical factor. For sand and groomed trail riding, 4.5" is ok.

Other items:
- If general maintenance or most common breakage parts (air filter, starters, strators, brake shoes, etc.) are hard to find or too expensive, consider another brand.
- In another 4-5 years, you may want to sell this brand. You get much more resale value for a major brand then this non-major brand model. In other words, you save dollars buying it NOW but loose dearly when you sell it later.
- Generally speaking, 2 Strokes have "more bottom end zip" then most 4 strokes. 4 Strokes deliver constant and strong power. If your kid does lots of "mud or sand spinning", consider a 2 stroke. If you'll be doing more recreational riding, then a 4 stroke is very good. For me, I love 2 strokes for lower CC quads and 4 strokes for motocross 2 wheel bikes and the 300+ quads. Then again, that's just me.
- If you are in a green sticker / red sticker region, then you must go with a 4 stroke to ride all year long.
- To me, body fitting and ease of controls is the most critical factory in purchasing a quad. If possible, have your kid "sized" and if possible, drive it around a small yard for a while. Kinda hard to judge suspension, power and ease of controls from an internet picture.

The brand your listed could be the best quad on earth. Since I have no experience with this specific brand, the above items are "general" items that came to mind.

Hope this helps...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Bandageman

ok thank you for all the help [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode