Frustrated! Which mini Quad to buy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 11:15 PM
jltimm

Frustrated! Which mini Quad to buy?

I'm new here to this site and would like to know if anyone could point me in the right direction as to a Mini Quad for my 4 yr. old boy.Something with a reliable engine,full floorboards,electric start,adequate power,good suspension.I have been lookin at these quads for awhile and just cannot find a quad with all these features.Anyone out there have a suggestion or had previous expierience with a quad or several?Thanx in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 12:46 AM

Re: Frustrated! Which mini Quad to buy?

For your 4 year old, look at Kasea (with upgraded foot pegs to Nerf bars), Dinli, ETon and Polaris 50. Some have a foot brake, some have disc brakes and they all have an auto transmission and electric start. Find one that fits your son's body size, find one where its dealer is close to your home, and one that has inexpensive parts. For a 4 year old for minor trail riding and "around the house" fun, suspension doesn't have to be too wild. Being a new rider, focus on body size fit, ease of controls and maintenance parts availability.

When your young rider is ready to upgrade to a 90, you'll be more experienced on what you and your rider likes and doesn't like about <nobr>mini</nobr>-quads. In our day &amp; age, no mini-quad is perfect. Each has their "next year's" design improvements. In other words, there's NO perfect brand.

PS. To reduce frustration, select 4 major brands within a 45 minute drive then pick one from the bunch. If you try to select the "best cob of corn in the huge field", one does get frustrated with so much selection. Stick with major brands because they have a higher resell value in 3-4 years.

Hope this helps...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 01:29 PM
MJM400EX

I have a three year old riding the kasea super mini 50. It has full floor boards electric start and sells for around $1050 it has been a great machine not many problems. My other son which is 6 is riding a suzuki lta50 this has also been a great machine and my younger son will probably move up to the suzuki in the next year or so. It depends on how big your son is for his age the controls and ergonomics on the kasea are small, so he will likely out grow it soon. But the kasea is a great starter quad. Just be prepared to buy a larger quad in a year or two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 03:44 PM
jltimm

I have just got back from looking at a Polaris Predator 50 and a Bombardier 50 which I thought (looked) impressive.Does anyone have any expierience with either of these 2 Quads?Good,bad or ugly?Both 2stroke,electric start,full suspension(although the Bomb. was stiff but was not adjusted all the way down)Polaris had horn,and was smaller in size and controlls.The Bomb. was a great (looking) machine but not wanting to judge the book by it's cover.Prices were $1699.00 for Polaris and $1650 for the Bomb.I think the Polaris throws in some safety features also,Helmet,whip flag,video.ect...6 month warranty on both and dealers are 3 miles away.Just haven't heard good news about either dealer thuogh.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 07:27 PM

If you receive the same amount of pros / cons feedback on each brand, your next step might be to let your son decide. After body fitting and ease of control playing, ask what brand they like the best. For almost 6 months my son wanted a yellow quad. We went from showroom to showroom. When we walked into the Polaris showroom, he walked past their yellow SP-90 model and immediately sat on the Pred-90. He's never looked back.... If I wanted to buy my wife a car, I'd let her pick the model, colour and what she wanted (within reason). The same may be true for your kid.

Hope this helps...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 07:46 PM
107dad

I bought my son a Predator 90 when he was 6. We have not had any problems with it. He has raced MX for a year now and loves it. It can be set to a speed where he can grow into it. With the 50 we were afraid he would grow out of it too fast. He is ready to add a clutch kit, Pipes ect. I would say dont cut your self short and need somthing bigger in a short time.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 08:43 PM
bluetickracing

I bought my 5 yr old son a Arctic Cat 50. The Cat and the bomb are the same quad, different plastic. I looked at alot of quads before I bought this one. We just got it back from the shop where he did the mods for this race season. pipe,clutch kit, mod on the air box, twin air filter,removal of oil injection, different sprockets,drr cdi,dougles wheels and mudders, rejeted the carb,and removal of all restrictors. We took it out in the field and I rode beside him on my quad and it ran 27 mph. I was shocked. He loves this quad now. And he said it had more.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 09:33 PM

bluetickracing,

Your AC 50 now does 37 mph!!! WOW!!!! Does that mean a beefed up 90 should do around 58 mph??? For most trails and "around the house" riding, I sure many wouldn't want their 4 year old doing 37, or their 9 year old doing 58. That's even way too much speed for me...

On the more serious side, you are very lucky to have a sponsor to help you out with expensive racing mod upgrades. Very lucky!!! Some on this forum had to save their dollars 3 years just to save enough for a down payment for their pure stock quads. Some are even paying high interest rates on loaned money - just to allow their kid to run a "pure stock" machine. Yes, you are very lucky.

In the pure stock form, is there other brands of mini you came across before you bought your AC 50 unit? What was your second choice that "jltimm" may want to investigate as well???

Thanks for helping others reach the same level you are at. That's what makes this forum so beneficial to others... Especially to "our kids" in the sport.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
bluetickracing

I looked at the Bombardier 50 the Alpha Sport 50, Suz, Kaw, Polaris. These were all in my town. I was going to get the Alpha Sport. Then we got a sponsor with the AC. The Alpha has 2 quads in the 50 class. They were both very cool quads.They make 2 sizes a small one and a bigger one. I would look at one of them. Yes that speed is scary. But I wouldn't build a quad to hurt my son. My son is a very, very, smart rider. He knows his limits. At 6 yrs old (Just turned 6 yesterday) he will tell ya your brain wins races. We just need this power because these off road races have some killer hill climbs. And you need lot's of power for them,and the tracks are real tight, so when you do get a place to pass you need the power to do so.Plus He is a very agessive rider and likes to (dirt track it in the turns). If you think 27 is fast, He rides a Polini X3-works (50cc)bike (12.8 hp stock)which he also races. We go to some dirt drags and he's been clocked at 53 mph. He also rides a Suzuki lt-80. Now there is a great Quad. I would tell anyone to get a Suzuki lt-80. We both love that quad.Tuff as Heck. When we look for a quad I make sure the bike fits him well and it isn't to big for him to throw around. Alot of people buy quads to big to last for 3 or 4 years. I would buy a new quad every year if that's what it takes to keep my son safe.Money is no object when it comes to a child safety.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 08:22 AM
bluetickracing

I'm very sorry I said the quad ran 37mph. That was a typo error. I ment 27. Sorry for the wrong information. Still I think 27 is very good for a 50 cc quad,without all the high performance parts I could still get.All I have done to this quad was remove all the restricters including the washer in the variator. mod the air boxand twin air filter,drr cdi,pipe,clutch mod kit,removal of oil injection,rejet carb.moved clip down on the needal 1 spot,and changed the rear 50 tooth sprocket to a 32 tooth sprocket,and I run a 50/50 mix 104 Klotz/95 oct mixed 40:1 with Maxima 927 oil.The Arctic Cat,Bombardier,JEHM, and the DRR are pretty much the same Quad. And if you look at the DRR's in the nationals they really do very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode