will 12 year old have fun with 90cc - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 07:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

will 12 year old have fun with 90cc

I have a 9 year old girl and a 12 year old boy who is 5'6 and 125 lbs. I wanted to buy a 90cc for them, but will my son find it to slow? My decision is almost taken on a predator 90. Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: will 12 year old have fun with 90cc

I would have to say that your son is pretty borderline for one of these little machines.Personally I would say he is too big and would get bored with it pretty fast.This depends on your son though and how much experience he has.I'm sure he would be happier with a beginner full size quad like a blaster or a 250 of your choice.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 05:20 PM
pokie

I would have to agree with oldyeller. Unless your kids are small for there age, I would be looking into something a little bit bigger. My son is 7 and is about 55 pounds and is riding a Kasea 90. I feel for ya, I know what it's like being right on the bump line like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 05:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys for your input. Last friday i bought the predator 90. I know my boy might want more power soon but he will also be sharing this toy with his 9 year old sister. I'm planning on doing mods once they are needed. Now i have to find an ATV for me that will satisfy also my son in about a year or two. Was looking at a sporty 4x4 to have fun in sand pits with my children and to do a bit of trails......Any suggestions...THANKS
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 06:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My boy turns 7 in January. Right now, he's 55" and 101 pounds. He rides a Skyhawk 90. He still goes fast, and kinda manhandles the machine, which I would rather have over the machine handling him.

As he gets bigger, I can always mod the bike and motor to make is a screamer. Foklks say the 90 can go over 50 mph, and that's fast enuff for any kid. I can't wait till he's 8 so he can race in the ATVA class. I hope he dominates. Even at the drags that we went to this summer, he towered over the other 6-8 year olds (and one kid was plain scared of him).

But, given his "unique" growth curve, I suspect he'll be too big for the 90 by 12-13. But I will feel much better putting him on a larger ride when he's that age if he has several years of riding the 90 under his belt.

Honestly, keep your kid within the age spec for the bike, or as close to it as possible. I know in NY, if your kid is seriously hurt or killed on a quad, the hospitals/doctors are required by law to report it to the Dept. of Social Services' Child Protective Service as a possible case of abuse/maltreatment. If the child didn't have the recommended safety gear, or worse, is riding a quad too big for age (as defined by the CPSC), the parents are held responsible for the abuse, and could face criminal charges. A few years back, a 13 year old was thrown and killed from a 250 cc quad. The father was charged and convicted of negligent homocide. Both parents were added to the State Central Register as child abusers.

Food for thought when choosing a youth quad.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 08:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your last paragraph sent chivers down my back... Would never want to lose a child because of my negligence. I just want to have fun with them while they are still young. Thanks Yankee Tim!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 07:28 PM
pokie

Yankee Tim, After reading your post I had myself wondering if I should be out in the garage cutting the speed back on the 90, but I know in my own mind that with everything my son and I practice, that we are on the right track. Things are taken slowly as we practice different situations that he may be put into so that he knows how to react. These things are sometimes practiced to the point which he may get bored, but he knows how to handle them if he gets himself into a situation. He's never allowed to ride alone, I'm always within feet of him, he is often taken down a peg or two when he seems to get a little big for his britches. And that's the way we're going to play it from here on out. From reading other posts on this forum, I would have to say that you have more than likely created your own riding criteria for your son. Now all I can think is put either one of us in these other parents situation. I mean, did they instill the same safety measures and understanding of the dangers involved in riding in their child. Unfortunately, sometimes horrible incidents such as this can happen dispite all of the training and safety measures that we do instill in them. I don't know how I would feel if I were in their shoes, I hope and pray that I never will be.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2003, 06:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey guys,

I'm not tryiong to frighten you all, just a dose of reality. Being a god riding partnet and a better parent is first and foremost.

Yes, I have VERY strict rules on my boy's riding. I can't wait for the lake to freeze again. I found riding a flat track on packed snow is a great forum for him to learn on. I still don't rrail ride with him, as I'm not compfortable with him buzzing a foot or two away from trees at 20 mph.

The point I'm trying to make is keep the age limits in mind when choosing a quad. Regardless how carefully we educate our children in safe riding, accidents happen. And if a serious injury or death occurs, I know I would never be able to get it out of my mind that I put him on a adult quad that was too big for him. Everything I mentioned in the other post would just add insult to injury if the authorities got involved.

The 90-100cc quads are for ages 12-16. Even though at 15 he might be a bit big for the quad, he'll have no problem handling it. With that experience and confidence under his belt, when he turns 16 and moves up to a 175 or 250, he'll be much more prepared. But that's my thoughts.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 12:33 PM
tony1034

I completely agree with Tim on this one.

This past summer I went to Conn to meet an online friend. We drove up to MX-338 in Mass, where his 9yr old daughter raced her Peak PowerSports Kasea 90. Let me tell you, with a modded suspension and motor, it will cook a Yamaha Blaster (power, acceleration, top speed and handling), 250ex, 300ex and keep up with any 400ex. It will easily do 65mph with taller gearing. But what really impressed me was how light it was. Fully race-prepped 90's weigh 175-200 lbs. Thats still a lot of weight to throw around and control for any 6-7 year old, let alone even a 15year old or myself. Full size quads weigh in the neighborhood of 375 lbs. I'd hate to think of that 375 lbs landing on any child.

Then there is the legal issues, CPSC and those looking to ban ATVs all-together because of these irresponsible kids and parents.

I say keep the kid on a youth quad. Get them all the safety gear you can buy (helmet, goggles, gloves, chest protector, neck collar, kidney belt, long-sleeve jersey & pants, boots and elbow guards). Your child is too prescious to give them any less. Let them learn, and be with them all the time. When they're ready for more power, it is available.

Best regards,
Tony P.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 07:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys... Never thought i'd get so much feedback. My dealer phoned me my predator 90 has arrived but i will only pick it up in mid december. It is a Xmas gift for my 9 and 12 year old. They don't know yet. I had to bring them at the dealer a month ago just to have them sit on a small quad to see how they liked it. They LOVED it. Since then my 9 year old girl especially, has been asking if i thought she would get one. I told her they were quite expensive( $3500.00 Canadian tax in) and maybe Santa might be able to help. She doesn't really believe in Santa but this morning while i was taking her to school she told me that Santa was arriving at the local shopping center this week end and she wanted to go see him JUST IN CASE this false Santa could communicate with the real one. So guys guess where i'm going this week end and i think i'm more excited than her...Merry Xmas!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode