New 2003 Polaris Scrambler 50 -- I Need Help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New 2003 Polaris Scrambler 50 -- I Need Help!

A couple of months ago I bought a Scrambler 50 for my 6 year old. First ATV I've ever bought. The first day it started fine and ran well. My son's face was lit up like a Christmas tree. The next day we went out to ride and it started, went about 50 feet, and died. The 50 would turn over but not start. the dealer assured us this was the first time they had ever heard of this. After many attempts, over a one month period, of them attempting to repair it and my son riding it for a day or two and then it quit I made the dealer take it back and get me a brand new one again. I got the new one and it ran great and started every time for the first tank and a half of gas. Now today it started went about 100 feet and died. I'm furious but my son loves it, when it works. I don't know what to do. Please help.

One additional note. After it wouldn't start, I took out the spark plug and it was black and wet. I cleaned it off, put it back in the machine and it would sometimes start but then die as soon as I gave it gas. Take the plug out again and its black and wet. No clue, I'm not very savvy about ATV engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New 2003 Polaris Scrambler 50 -- I Need Help!

It sounds like you may have some garbage in the tank or the carb. They are famous for plastic shavings in the tank.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 10:11 AM
tony1034

My Kasea mini 50 didn't come with a fuel filter. Almost everyone I've spoken to on these forums that bought a mini 50 Kasea, had the same problem, as mine. It would just die for no reason. I took apart the carb and blew out the jets w/ compressed air and the fuel bowl. Put it back togther and ran just fine. I's suggest adding an in-line fuel filter to catch the garbage. By the way, there is no fuel pump on the mini 50 either. Gravity gets the gas to the carb, so having an airway (vent tube on gas cap w/ mine) is crucial. If it is blocked, fuel will not flow properly.

Tony P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My sons alpha sport 50 did the same thing, it has the same motor and chasis as your polaris. Just clean the carb and it should be fine , it fixed my sons. The other thing it could be is the air filter, I stood my sons quad on its side to spray mud off the bottom and the air filter filled up with gas try starting it without the airbox on.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone....still no go.

The carb is spotless, and I ran a bit of fuel through with the drain open just to verify low. The plug smells like and is getting fuel when I try to start. New fuel filter, air filter, and fresh gas. Last time I had the carb off I removed the boot covering the reeds and had a look. They wher clean and not broke, just pushed all 4 corners with me finger to make sure they open. pulled exhaust and looked into cylinder and looked good. Exhaust was full of unburned fuel from being tipped on the grab bar while working on it.

Anyway still trying. I dont get how the thing will not even spit or sputter, not one indication of trying to fire. It is getting good looking spark. Also tried with jumper across and rev limiter and jumped. No start!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in