Safety Kill Switch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 01:13 PM
nevadaoutlaw

Safety Kill Switch

What is the protocol, or proper use of, the safety kill switch for a 5.5 year old on a quad? Do they have better ways to attach it to the child? I'm am baffled because it is just a little looped string.

Also, I have a Kasea 90 and the safety kill switch cap broke so I need a replacement. Do they make one that isn't plastic?

By the way, went riding with my son yesterday and he did great. He had one get off but shook it off rather quickly. I may soften up the rear spring a little but the entire quad seemed to handle very well. Love that electric start. It doesn't bounce around like the LT80.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 03:52 PM
tony1034

Re: Safety Kill Switch

On the Kasea 90 SkyHawk, the rear suspension is very stiff. It could easily handle my 170lbs. Everyone on these forums will tell you to soften the rear as soft as it can go. Upgrading to Works shocks would even be better, but has its costs.

I ordered an extra kill strap and pin from Greg at Peak PowerSports.

Best regards,
Tony P.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 06:09 PM
nevadaoutlaw

My son fell off his quad recently and the quad just rolled to a stop. Do I need to have my son attached to the kill switch? If I do would I use a cord like they have on the wave runners? I am thinking not using one because the quad just rolls to a stop but is that a safety issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 09:54 PM
Scramblur50

the ont that came on out Scramber 50 is like a wave runner type... not teh dest design for something that might get lots of dirt in it.. teh rubber cap doesn't always fit well.

The Pro-Design Kill Switch Tether is probably the best design to get.

Our little 50 takes a bit for it to stop when wound out to 30mph.. but I'm not sure how much it would help stopping it by killing teh engine, unless the throttle got stuck somehow.

Bryce
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 10:27 AM
tony1034

You want the engine to cut-off when the rider is thrown off. This is a huge safety feature. Lets say the quad flips over and the handlebars pull the throttle cable and rev the motor. Your kid could get seriously injured if the motor is revving away. The horrific possibilities are endless.

My son was riding his mini 50 one day and when he stopped he took his hand/wrist out of the kill tether. He then started it back up and took off (me unaware). He hit a little bump (small jump) and lost his left hand. Guess what? He went for a wild ride with his right hand on the throttle, screaming the motor. The bike turned real hard, and he went flying off. I told him to never take off that tether when riding. Needless to say, he won't even think about riding without it on.

Tony P.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 12:34 PM
nevadaoutlaw

Okay, so Tony your son has the tether that just wraps around his left hand? I assume it is similar to the tether the Kasea 90 comes with. I see some tethers that snap to the chest area, however in the situation with your son having his left hand come off the bar and his right pushing the throttle then a kill switch connected to a chest protector would not of done any good in that case. It would seem safer for him to have the tether around his left wrist in the early stages...am I correct in assuming that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode