Need speed for 2003 Scrambler 50 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need speed for 2003 Scrambler 50

Hi All,
I bought my son a 2003 Scrambler 50 a few months ago, and it is a decent machine. My question is what is the best way to get more speed out of this thing, without sacrificing reliability. Right now it does about 16 MPH, the (CFI?) has been removed. I'd like the Scram to go somewhere in the 20-25 mph range. Is this possible? Are we talking a major overhaul of the engine or is there something fairly simple that can be done to achieve that type of speed?
Thanks for your help,
DblMartini [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 02:05 PM
Scramblur50

Re: Need speed for 2003 Scrambler 50

My daughter's '02 Scrambler 50 will hit 25-26mph with me on it (200lbs).

We have a Tecnigas Pipe, Uni Filter, B8HS plug, 105 main jet, removed the oil injection, put on 5.5g Roller Weights and a 19T front sprocket. We also put a CDI module on that has no rev limiter, but I'm not sure if your '03 needs it or could use it.

Here's a video clip of my daughter blasting around on a local pee-wee track... Click here to see it!

With a 27T rear sprocket, I was able to hit 33mph on it before I chickened out [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Were my daughter rides, she wouldn't normally need the fast top end, so we geared it back to the 19T/35T sprockets for more power.

Talk to Tommy at Mini ATV Parts.com.

Bryce
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could also go to www.WRHRACING.COM. They are the experts on the scrambler 50.

To get the top speed your looking for you either have to get the engine to rev higher (more RPM= higher top speed) you can get this with and performance pipe and trans kit or you can go to higher gearing (either by changing sprockets or replacing the 50 transmission with one from a 90) more compression and a few other mods will be needed to pull the higher gearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Scramblur50

Sorry, Shano.. I should have mentioned WRH too... Good folks over there too!

I don't know if the 2003's suffer from the same problem that our '02 did.. but the biggest problem that we had with our '02 was the CDI.

The CDI would not let this little thing wind out. The Rev limiter would start to kick in if you held the throttle at anything past half open for a long period of time. We replaced it with a CDI for an Eton that I got on ebay, and that let it rev wide open. Without this change, the other mods would have been useless.

Bryce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode