Quad Suggestions Needed for 5 yr. old - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 05:15 PM
nevadaoutlaw

Quad Suggestions Needed for 5 yr. old

I am going purchase a quad for my 5 year 3 month old son. He is about 45 pounds. He has never been on a quad before. He sat several at the dealer but I was thinking on getting him the Suzuki LT50/Kawi KFX50, or the LEM Condor. He seems comfortable on that size quad but I am afraid that he will out grow something like that too soon. I am concerned he will need something with more power or better suspension sooner then later. I guess my #1 concern is to have him have the best possible experience. I don't want him to get scared right off the bat. But I know I can get a Kasae, Polaris, or Xtreme for close to the Suz, Kaw, or LEM and they seem like more of a machine. Any suggestions would be wounderful...thanks. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Quad Suggestions Needed for 5 yr. old

Take it from us---think very carefully about him growing out of the quad quickly. Since Oct of 2002 we have bought 5 different quads for our son. We started out with a Dinli because we were afraid that if we gave him too much quad he would get scared & not want to ride. Within a couple of months he was getting mad because he couldn't keep up with anyone. So dad went out & bought him a Kawasaki 80(which he loves). The other 3 quads we have bought have been because of racing, which we just started. At the moment we need to get rid of a Kawasaki 50cc (which was awful for racing) & a modified LEM (that after we bought it we found out our local district didn't allow his age to race modified).

Right now he is racing a stock 50cc LEM. I know I got off the subject a bit but trust me---have him try out the different quads if possible before you buy anything.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 01:25 PM
ice

I think you should look at the Yamaha Raptor 80. It's a good ATV , 4-stroke , 80cc, electric starting system and shaft drive.

It also has a speed restrictor , so you can limit the speed.

The only thing is the size. Maybe your boy is to small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 09:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My 6 y.o is very happy with his Kasea Skyhawk 90. I got the 90, as it's the same frame as the 50, but bigger motor. He can start racing in the 90cc class when he's 8, so he can definately grow into his quad.

His bike cost $2000 even (total with tax) with the addition of the light kit and rear sport rack.

I recommend them, very well made and I've had zero problems.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:39 PM
nevadaoutlaw

Wow...it is interesting he moved up to the 80 so fast. I assume if the throttle is restricted it doesn't matter what the size the motor is. I guess it is what size of quad compaired to his body, and what he is comfortable with.

How old is your son by the way?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:44 PM
nevadaoutlaw

I actually looked at a Rapter 50 and 80 this weekend. They seem like they are the same size but they do look very big for my son. They look great and I like the fact that it is a 4-stroke, really attractive also...but it seems too big for my son. He is almost 5 1/2 and 3 1/2 feet tall. Am I being to concerned about size? I can just see that thing rolling on top of him and crushing him.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 05:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My son has a KFX 50. Purchased about a year ago when they first came out.

We're looking to buy an 80 or 90. The Kawasaki is a great beginners machine, but the kids will master it very quickly. I suggest buying an 80 or similiar. Keep the restrictors on until you feel they are confident without being "over confident". This will save you money down the road.

The pull-start is a little troublesome and electric would be better. However, the machine does handle very well.

All the kids in the neighborhood love to ride it. However, anyone older than 6 seems too big for it. It is a very resrictive machine.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 10:49 AM
nevadaoutlaw

Yes...I think an 80 is where I will start for my son. I was at the track yesterday and a kid was zooming and jumping around everywhere. I asked his father how old he was and he said he was 6 1/2. He was on a LT80 Suzuki quad I think it was. The father said that the LT was made for a 5 year-old. He was already thinking about buying his kid a 100 quad. Great...well...now what 80 is the question...I will look at the Kasae 90 and the Suzuki LT80. He said the LT80 was indistructable and never had to do any maint. on it but just basic stuff...kid seemed to be having a blast also.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 10:52 AM
nevadaoutlaw

In addition, I was also given some comfort from the father with the LT80 for his son...he said that they are very stable and just are very difficult to flip on the side. The have very low center of gravity. He also said I could get low profile tires also to lower the center of gravity even more.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Scramblur50

We've got my 5 1/2yo daughter on a Scrambler 50. She's a bit too short for it, but WRH Racing made some foot pegs for it that bolted onto her floor boards. This gaver her enough height that she can stand up off the seat and lean back on the jumps.

At times I wish that I would have gone for the 90cc quad.. I feel that she may outgrow it's speed too soon... since it's the same size fram as the 90's, she'll fit on it size wise for a while, so she can ride it until it's too slow for her. Luckily, she has a little brother that will take over the 50 for her [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] when she moves up.

Here's a link to some video of her at a practice on peewee track and the MX track. -->> Alyssa at Talking Rock MX

Bryce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode