thumb throttle vs twist - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 01:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thumb throttle vs twist

Do any 50's or 80-90's have twist throttles? I have only used one on jet skis and to me I can't seeem to hang on when my thumb is on the lever vesus around the grip. (Only when slowing down not accelerating). Also I read that the lever type is tough on the thumb. Man, do I sound like a wimp or what?
Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 03:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: thumb throttle vs twist

Steveee,

Your thumb will get use to being used in that way. When we first got our ATV's (only thumb levers) our thumbs killed us, but now they are stronger.

So, NO, you don't sound like a wimp, LOL

Leanbop
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 06:09 PM
redneckstv85

I dont know of any stock atvs that have twist throttle but if you prfer the twist just switch one on to it. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 06:13 AM
tony1034

I understand your frustration. I have owned 6 sport bikes and was very used to a twist throttle. When I got my 400ex, I hated the thumb throttle, but like they said, you get used to it. As for youth ATVs not having a twsit throttle, or adult ATVs for that matter, there are good reasons as to why. Go to the ATVSOURCE forum, and do a search.

If you want to relieve some of the pressure, you can try a throttle extender, or like I did on my son's mini Kasea, remove the oil injection and switch to pre-mix. Right now you are working two throttle cables (springs). One in the carb, and the other the oil pump. By removing the oil injection, you will cut the tension in half. My son's mini 50's throttle was stiffer than my 400ex with the oil injection. He is 5-1/2 and can ride it all day now.

Tony P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode