Thank You For ALL Your Help! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2003, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank You For ALL Your Help!

This posted is directed specifically at the following:

Raptor720
MasterWrench
Shano125
tony1034

And generally at everyone else who has contributed to this board.

You all have provided a tremendous resource in helping myself and my son get the right quad for him. After lurking on these boards for over a year! I finally talked Mom into taking our son to the bike shop and looking at the Kasea Mini 50.

I can't believe how much fun we have had with it in just this first week. It is really a nice machine and seems to be very ruggedly built. Compared to a lot of the CRAP I saw for sale I am happy that we got the Kasea.

After about 1 hour of "practice" with my son we hit the trail and he and the quad performed admirably. I just can't believe how that little machine goes.

Anyway, thanks for everything. You may not realize it but you help a lot of people make good informed decisions and get a whole bunch of enjoyment with their kids.

I have attached a picture of my son on his quad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1128750-zach_quad_small.jpg (38.4 KB, 90 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 09:10 AM
tony1034

Re: Thank You For ALL Your Help!

Congratulations!

Did you or the dealer remove the carb/exhaust restrictors?

Is that a headlight I see on there? [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I finally got the jetting right on my son's mini 50. It took some time since I changed the reeds/cage and slkapped on that K&N. You wouldn't believe how far off the jetting was, but more on that later.

Good luck!

Tony P.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Haven't removed the restrictors yet. He's not quite four yet so it goes plenty fast the way it is. Maybe at the end of the summer. He will probably amaze me with the level of skills increase!

I did have the dealer remove the oil injection and replace the throttle cable, so it probably has a little more torque because of that.

They recommended I run Amsoil at 64:1 ratio... This seemed a little low to me... Whaddya think?

I also plan on upgrading to 15" Snow Hogs... Stock tires are kinda weak tread-wise, also the extra clearance will come in handy on some of the trails we ride on. But once again, not till he gets a little more time behind the controls.

In the picture he doesn't have elbow or knee pads on cause we couldn't find any small enough. Since then we have got him a set of pads from Bell. They are intended for bikes and such but should be better than nothing for him at his size.

The only other equipment issue is the helmet and c-collar. He's wearing an HJC Clx4 Fuel in small and it is a little looser than I would like. Any suggestions here would be appreciated. Also we tried to get a c-collar for him but couldn't find anything that "worked" given his small size.

We are going riding again this weekend and he will be adorning his quad with it's first sticker... Spongebob of course! :-)

On the airbox issue we are running stock. We seem to have the square box affair with the little snorkle on top. My dad is a gear head so I figure when I start "getting the look" we will go visit grandpa for some tuning.

Thanks again for taking your time to help out. Hopefully in a year or two I can help someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 09:25 AM
tony1034

Hi,

64:1 is WAY too lean. You should run nothing but synthetic two-stroke " PREMIX " oil at 32:1. I like the Bel-Ray H1R, because it doesn't have castor in it. In colder climates, the castor oils will seperate. Out in Cali and down South they use mostly the Maxima 927 oil. The amount of oil it uses mixed with gas is sooo little, its worth buying the best oil out there. I use one of those ratio rite cups to measure it out. I'll go to the gas station with a small gas tank and fill it exactly with 1 or 1-1/2 gallons of premium. Then just use the ratio rite cup to measure out the oil 32:1 at the one gallon or gallon and a half mark.

The stock plug is a NGK BPR7HS. Ditch it for the B7HS, or colder B8HS.

You have the better airbox setup, so I'd leave that on there. I've been trying to get that dang thing forever and just gave up and went to the K&N. But the K&N sucks in sooo much air, thus my huge jetting changes.

My son also has the HJC CL_X4 Fuel helmet. They make it in two youth sizes (s/m and m/L). we have the S/M and it fits my son at 5-1/2, daughter at 8 and even fits my wife (age not to be disclosed otherwise she'd have to kill me [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) ....LOL

For the neck collar, check out the EVS RC1 race collar. They make it in a youth size and adult size.

The chest protectors out there typically come in two youth sizes .... (micro/toddler or mini/youth). But what I found for the really, really little guys, the best fitting micro is the Zero Gravity micro chest protector. Its a bit hard to find, but fits the really small kids great.

The bicycle elbow pads are what I use.

If you're buying boots, the Thor youth ones are very good, comfortable and reasonably priced compared to some of the others.

You may also look into a kidney belt.

My son has the Scott goggles, but I don't like them very much. Their funky shape doesn't fit into the helmet very good like my bigger Scott goggles on my Cl-X4 Fuel. I removed the strap and put on a quick strap on both helmets. Their much easier to use and look neater. I just ordered a pair of the Thor youth goggles for him to fit into the helmet better.

The SnowHogs are amazing tires. You'll not only find them to offer much more traction and take him places he couldn't go before, but they make the ATV safer. With the rounded stockers, my son would tend to roll it making turns. He'd be on the two wheels on one side and the other side would be off the ground. It would scare the heck out of me and my wife. So just a thought...

The rear wing-bolt that holds on the seat will surely vibrate loose and fall out. Mine did and I lost it, so I just used a longer 2 inch "metric" bolt ( i think it is 5 or 6 mm) and a lock-washer.

Best of luck and enjoy riding.

Tony P.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Scramblur50

I'm not so sure that you'll end up with better goggles by going with the Thor branded ones. They may be the same thing. My adult sized Thor Goggles are made by Scott... the front side and teh band say Thor on them, but teh foam part that goes on your face says Scott... they just rebrand Scott brand goggles.

I'm not sure if the kids goggles are differant... my kid has Thor goggles and a Polaris helmet (not sure who's they rebranded), and they fit her OK.

Bryce
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 02:49 PM
tony1034

See Scott kids Voltage goggle:
http://www.ridegear.com/store/graphi...ge/scottvr.jpg

And the Thor:
http://www.ridegear.com/store/graphi...oregoggles.jpg

Notice how the Scott goggles are shaped. The Thor look just like my bigger Scott googles where the top is smooth and rounded, not concaved in like the voltage goggles. This funny shape doesn't make them fit good in the helmet and they ride up into his eyes. But I wouldn't be surprised if Scott made them for Thor.

Tony P.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2003, 11:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought 64:1 sounded too lean. However, I must point out that the Amsoil oil is synthetic two stroke injector oil and was $4.50 for an 8 oz container... Didn't seem like cheap stuff to me!!! Also, on the back it actually recommends 80:1 and 100:1 in certain applications...

Hist helmet is the s/m size... He just has a small noggin. I'm sure when he gets closer to five it'll fit better.

I will check out the c-collar you recommended. His chest protector seems to fit well, not sure of the brand... It is the lexan variety.

I am going to order the Snow Hogs based on your input on the "rocking". That makes three reasons to buy them.

Thanks for everything!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 06:25 AM
tony1034

Don't use injector oil if you are pre-mixing. Use nothing nut pre-mix only oil. (not familiar with amsoil).

By the way, where are you from? (no location in your profile).

Good place for kids stuff online (including the EVS collar)
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com

Tony P.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 08:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do not run at 64:1. I have seen some pretty bad results with the Amsoil lubes. Go with Maxima K2 or Motorex Cross 2T at 32:1. Do not use injector oil as a premix. [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 02:15 PM
tony1034

WOW .... Sorry, I went back up and read through my posts. If the oil-injection system has been removed, You MUST use pre-mix oil. I must have been tired. I can't believe I didn't pick that up and repeated it. I'm going back and editing my posts.

SORRY!

Tony P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode