AlphaSports Mini-Kolt 50? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 08:14 PM
DaveinLouisiana

AlphaSports Mini-Kolt 50?

Hello all;
Been lurking for a few days...Decided to register so I could post a question...I've been shopping for a mini-quad for my soon to be six year old daughter...Know very little about these machines except what I've read on this site...I live in Shreveport, La and there's an AlphaSports dealer here that has been trying to sell me on their Min-Kolt 50...Say it's a good unit, but not sure...Price tage is $1299 and it comes with a remote kill switch, which I like...But don't want to buy a hunk o' junk...If someone who knows the real low-down on this unit, please let me know...I want to buy something that'll last until my next child will be old enough to ride, and buy a 90 for the other...Please help!...Thanks in advance...DP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 09:27 PM
tony1034

Re: AlphaSports Mini-Kolt 50?

The mini kolt 50 looks like a good starter quad. It has front brakes, where my Kasea mini 50 does not. Although mine stops just fine with the rear hand brake. The mini kolt 50 is not a racer. When you're ready to get a larger 90. I'd definitely go with the Kasea SkyHawk 90. Right now its important to get all the safety gear and teach good riding habits. I don't know how the reliability is with the Alpha Sports, but I'd guess its about the same as the others. I believe I read that it is on the slow side though, so don't expect for em to be tearing it up with it.

Good luck,
Tony P.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 07:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I second what Tony said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 10:12 PM
DaveinLouisiana

Thanks for the replies Tony & M.W....Appreciate your inputs...You guys really seem to know what you're talking about...Either of you know anyone that owns one???...How about suspension???...The AlphaSports web site is, of course trying to sell you on their units, and I've read that most (if not all) of the Taiwanese ATV's are under-engineered when it comes to suspension...I am considering the Kasea (in both the mini and the Sky Hawk...That Sky Hawk definitely seems to be over-engineered...Gotta like a product that's bulit for the long run...What I like most about the Alpha, is the remote cutout...Seems like all 50's should come with this for the enhanced safety it provides...Anyone know of anywhere I can do objective research on mini-quad reliability???...What about plans for the Kasea to incorporate a remote cutout in their 2004???...Sure would be nice if they did...It would be a no-brainer then!!!... [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]Thanks again for your candor...DP
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 01:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Alpha Sport is made by Aeon the same manufactor that produces the Polaris and Xtreme mini quads. The thing that stands out the most about the Alpha Sport is its suspension and front brakes which are far better than most of the others. Alot of the mini 50 don't even have front brakes and use a swing arm type front suspension where the Alpha uses independant A arms like the bigger 50 and 90's.

If you wanted to add a remote kill to a Kasea you could use a car alarm with a remote. Use one of the outputs of the car alarm and a relay to make your own remote kill system. This is what all the manufactors are using on thier remote kill systems.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 09:17 AM
tony1034

My mini 50 Kasea is sold in the UK under the name "Buzz Mini 50". They have a new SE model that has working headlights and a remote kill. I am trying to get the parts to update my mini Kasea from my UK contacts. I also contacted SMC (Standard Motor Corp) in Taiwan, who makes the Kaseas and also sold as Blasts in the US and the Buzz and Ram label in the UK. They told me they could sell me the remote kill, but I also want the headlights (for safer daytime riding only), but I also inquired about the lack of front brakes. The owner's manual states front brakes (optional). So I don't know if they have them for it or not.

I'd say, if you're looking for a starter quad for a 3-6 year old (that you can hand down) I'd go for the Alpha Sport mini Kolt if you like it. You're not looking for speed and MX capability for these youngsters in any of these micro minis. But once you want a full size youth ATV, get a Kasea SkyHawk 90. It has a rear foot brake (very important) and has a ton of aftermarket parts to go as fast as you want, and more importantly, handle much better and safer. It is also pre-wired for headlights/taillights and you can get the kit for like $50.

The Kaseas are very reliable. My sons mini 50 is hopped up to do @24 mph. It doesn't handle the jumps very good (its not made to), but for flat track, trails, riding in the yard/fields and hill-climbing .... it rocks.

Good luck,
Tony P.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 02:26 PM
DaveinLouisiana

Thanks again for the great info...You know, I was talking to a friend about the possible addition of a car alarm for the remote cutout...We thought you might be able to actually rig it up with the alarm as well, for theft deterrence...Only drawback would be that the warranty would most likely be voided...They seem to use any excuse to void these warranties...If you even look at the unit the wrong way...
STANDARD WARRANTY CANCELLATION:
"Sorry, we require you to smile and greet the unit, with an obiligatory salutation...Being that we have record you approached the vehicle and your mood was especially cross, we are compelled to void the remainder of your factory warranty...We appologize for any inconvienience, however, you qualify for our extended service contract...For an additional $1400.00, we will extend factory coverage for the next 30 minutes or first engine start, which ever comes first"!!!...

Yeah, I guess I got carried away for a miniute!!!...But voiding the warranty would probably happen tho...And the first six months is probably when you need the remote cutout (and quite possibly the warranty) most...Whatever I decide, I'm at least more prepared to make an informed decision...Thanks again all...DP
[img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 07:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Xtreme has a mini 50 that is very close in design to the Kasea mini 50, but uses a four stroke engine. They use a full car alarm on this model that features an alarm, remote kill, and also remote start. We had a blast at the Indy Show with it. We would wait till someone really got up close and looking it over and would start it up from behind a display, it would scare the crap out of them and they would be looking around like they touched something they shouldn't have. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 08:51 PM
DaveinLouisiana

That sounds like fun!!!...Looked at their web-site...Seems like another fine product with a decent price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode