what size ATV is best?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what size ATV is best??

I have no experience with ATVs. I have a 6 1/2 year old who wants a 4-wheeler. His father thinks he should have a 90, from what I read he should have a 50. I want this to be fun, not dangerous. Any opinions on what size is best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 05:02 PM
rickj4828

Re: what size ATV is best??

dont get the 50. if hes 7 years old a 80 or 90 would be good for him. hes gunna grow outta the 50 way to quick. besides all the smaller quads today have throttle limiters, and govenors that limit the quad, so even if it is alittle to fast just keep the govenors on for now.
the mini quads that i like best r the susuki 80, the e ton viper 90, arctic cat 90, and the honda 90. the viper seems to be a popular choice for minis
hope this helps, let us know what u decide
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a five year old that has recently gotten tired of the lt 50 I bought 9 months ago. He now rides a predator 90 the rev limiter off. We haven't removed the throttle screw yet but when racing me he seems to be happy with its performance. It has a wider stance to reduce rollover and will probably last 4 years. This is important for those of us that cant buy a new one each year. I thought the 50 would do more than it does and for the money it should. The LT 80 is just a little slower than the predator but it is narrow(making rollover a problem) and comes with crappy tires. The polaris dealer will say your son is too young but look at their pictures of a rider putting it to the test. The rider looks about 6 to 7 years old. I think if you look into most 4 wheeler accidents that result in serious injury you will find that the child was not in protective gear, unsupervised and the mechanism of injury is rollover. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] If you really want to be safe spend more money on a chest protector, boots and helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 08:44 AM
antman

I was in the same position 8 months ago when I purchased an ATV for my son. He is now 7 1/2 and riding a Predator 90. If you are going to supervise his riding then you should have no issues with a 90.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 08:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want the best built, best engineered, best handling 90cc quad, look at the Kasea or the Blast. They also have a foot operated rear brake. This is a must on any child's quad. Most kids do not have the strength to squeeze a hand brake hard enough to stop quickly. But, if it has a foot brake, all they have to do, is, stand up & put their weight on it to stop.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2003, 08:10 PM
rickj4828

yea the kasea 90 is one of the best out there that i forgot to include. there are many after market parts for this mini to make it faster and handle better.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 03:01 PM
redneckstv85

the best bike for your son would be either the kfx 80/quad sport 80. these are both great bikes there automatic so you dont have to shift they are also electric start.And all of todays youth atvs have governers and some have kill switches wich is a device that incase the rider falls off the atv will shut down. [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 06:53 AM
ice

Just give the kid a Yamaha Banshee. lol. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stick with the 90. My son just turned 7 and has been racing 50's since the age of 4. The 50 usually breaks on every outing now. Kids are hard on their equipment despite what most people say..."buy a used kids bike" not!! I just purchased The Kasea 90 and it's a great entry level 90 that you can build into a full race 65 MPH race vehicle!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode