lt 50? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

lt 50?

I have a couple of questions about the lt50. My son is three and is about 41" and weighs about 45lbs.
1-I was wondering if it would fit him alright?
2-Will he be-able to race it? (keep up with everyone else)
3-Is it dependable?
4-Is there mods that can be done to it?
5-The trails we will be riding in a mostly sand based, will it make it through the sand or will he get stuck alot?
Sorry for all the ?'s, but I don't want to spend all that money and get stuck with something that he is going to get bored with.
Thanks for any info
Eric
P.S. he has been riding my Banshee around with the governer in all the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 10:44 PM
MattFisher

Re: lt 50?

I have a couple of questions about the lt50. My son is three and is about 41" and weighs about 45lbs.
1-I was wondering if it would fit him alright?

-Probably, that's a good sized 3 year old. Mine was about 35"/35# when he got his LTA50.

2-Will he be-able to race it? (keep up with everyone else)

-Probably not, due to the lack of a transmission (just a clutch).

3-Is it dependable?

-Yes. It's a very understressed motor. Feed it clean fuel, oil, air, and it will live a long time. The tie-rod ends however, seem to wear out quickly.

4-Is there mods that can be done to it?

-Several, do a search. It is ultimately limited by the lack of a tranny.

5-The trails we will be riding in a mostly sand based, will it make it through the sand or will he get stuck alot?

-Due to the lack of power and transmission, I'd say it may not be your best choice, though I have not had my critter out in much sand yet. The mini Kasea 50 may be a better choice, although I prefer the LT's suspension design and front brakes (the Kasea has no front brakes).

Sorry for all the ?'s, but I don't want to spend all that money and get stuck with something that he is going to get bored with.
Thanks for any info
Eric
P.S. he has been riding my Banshee around with the governer in all the way.

-That, on the other hand, isn't something I'd be talking much about, given the current govt. BS -http://www.atvsource.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10344

[img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 08:26 AM
tony1034

Hi Eric,

My son has a Kasea mini 50. We've heavily modded it. Will do 22 mph with me on it. My son is 5-1/2, 44" tall and @45 lbs. He flies on it and the rear hand drum brake stops him fine. I paid $1100 in NJ and I have less than $150 into it.
I never looked at the Suzuki, b/c the older model was a pull start. I'm not sure how much the new Suzuki costs. Either way, if you want him to race, anything you buy now will probably be only to get him started and learn to ride. Once he's about 5-6 years old, you'll be looking at a full youth size Kasea SkyHawk 50, DRR 50, LEM (although the LEM is small and very light... it will cost you a fortune and a good welder to be a racer), Eton 50, etc.....

Rest assured though, if you buy a micro mini, you'll have friends, family or neighbors lined up to take it off your hands when you're ready to move your kid up to a full size youth quad.

Tony P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 07:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The LT50 is wwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy underpowered. You will have troubles pulling in sand. Kasea. Period.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info on the lt50 after reading the posts on this thread and some of the other threads I think I'll take a look at the Kasea 50.
Thanks for the input,
Eric

Zim's Race Team
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 07:45 AM
tony1034

Eric,

If you decide to go with the Kasea mini 50, check out my post that I bumped up. I put 15" SnowHogs on the front and 13" SnowHogs on the rear (see pictures). I didn't think the 15's would fit on the back, but now that I have both sizes, they will easily fit the rear too. I've left the 13's on only b/c its more like a MX setup, it has more torque and acceleration, and after all the hop-ups, I don't need the extra 2-3 mph top speed the taller tires would give. But if you're going to ride in sand and trails alot, I'd suggest the 15's all the way around as you'd get more ground clearance and they won't dig into the sand as easily. One of these days I'll get an extra set of rear rims and buy another set of 15's. Then I can put whichever size on, depending on where we're riding. The stock tires suck for anything more than riding in the yard. The SnowHogs are $20 each from WalMart and fit the stock rim.

Best of luck with your choice,
Tony P.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My son is 35 pounds and 3 feet tall. Even with the exhaust and intake ports open this machine is slower than grandma's wheelchair. [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] Start with the LT 80 or a similar ride with the restrictors on and it will grow with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode