Kasea review, day one... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2003, 09:08 PM
richj11

Kasea review, day one...

Well after much research and reading the posts here, I decided the Kasea Skyhawk 90 would be perfect for my daughter. She had a little experience riding my Kawasaki in circles.

We picked up the blue Kasea from Paulson's in Lacey, Washington on Friday the 25th. They matched the lowest price I found on line of $1849. It was $2035 after tax and ORV sticker. Their mechanic went over everything with me. Looked good. Got the little beast home and my daughter couldn't wait to break it in.

Anyway, Sunday we went out to Tahuya State Forest here in Western Washington. They have miles and miles of marked and pretty well maintained trails.

She is getting braver by the second. I need to keep her in check! She is very comfortable on the Kasea and it performed great so far. It went about everywhere my Kawasaki Prairie did. Talk about a great time! She loved every minute of it. I see many hours of exciting riding for us this summer...

I attached a photo of her crossing a wet trail.

Rich J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1089200-BrookeKasea1.jpg (33.0 KB, 132 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 07:35 AM
tony1034

Re: Kasea review, day one...

Sounds great Rich!

Just a note, if you're gonna be hitting the water a bit, go pick up some dielectric grease and pack any electrical areas so they don't get wet and corode. Double-check every bolt after breakin it in a bit. I've heard of some popele saying axle nuts can loosen up so keep an eye on them. I'd use loctite on anything you think could vibrate loose. Does it still have the brass sleeve restrictor above the slide in the carburetor? The bike will do 25-28mph stock. Without the slide @32-35 mph. I'd also stick with the airbox instead of switching to a K&N or Uni if you're hitting water. If the battery is loose, get some weather stripping from Home Depot and put a few pieces around the battery compartment. This will keep it tight and not make rattling noises.

Best of luck,
Tony P.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Loosen the rear axle nuts (by the brake hub) , apply loctite, & re-tighten. Also, with the restrictors removed, it should do 40MPH, as noted even by the magazines. [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 10:06 AM
richj11

Thanks for all the great tips.

One of the first things I looked at was the battery, after reading posts here that it could rattle around. It does fit a little loosely in the compartment, but I noticed a rubber bumber under the seat that holds the battery tight.

Rich
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 10:11 AM
richj11

I asked about the carb slide restrictor when I picked it up. They told me they had already removed it because it just fouls the plug. I'll have to double check.

The throttle limiter is all the way in and it is just about the right speed for her now. I played with it a little and let it out some and it would definitely move pretty fast, even with my 180 lbs on it...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 06:46 AM
tony1034

You can tell very easily. If you remove the airbox and look down the carb throat, extend the throttle. You'll see the slide come up and fully open. If the brass sleeve was there, you'd see it clearly above the silver colored slide. Take it easy with her. The most important thing she can learn is braking. If tire traction becomes an issue with the stock knobbies, go to Walmart and pick up a set of Carlisle SnowHogs. They are 18x6.5-8 in size. All the racers use these tires on the Kasea 90. I have smaller ones on my son's mini SkyHawk 50 and they rip! They are a hair shorter in diameter than your stock 19's. This will give more torque and acceleration (good for climbing and takin off), but will reduce top speed a little (maybe 2-3 mph). If it can hit 40mph with that restrictor removed like Master Wrench said, or even if it was 35, the 2-3 loss wouldn't even matter. She's just learning now anyways. You can always make it faster in the future for very little money. While you're at Walmart, get a few extra NGK B7HS plugs. Like Master said, get GOOD, two-stroke synthetic injector oil. Don't buy pre-mix oil.

Enjoy riding and keep it safe!

Best regards,
Tony P.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 07:17 AM
tony1034

Some Good Injector Oils:

BelRay Si-7 Oil
Maxima Super M Injector Oil

Tony P.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also, MOTOREX scooter injector oil is great. I have had good results with PJ1 injector oil, as well.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:37 PM
richj11

What kind of grease should I be putting into all these zirc fittings?

Rich J
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 06:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use a Lythium Marine type. It will protect more and is not water soluable .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode