'02 Scrambler 50 rev limiter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'02 Scrambler 50 rev limiter?

OK.. I've searched the forums here and about 4 other atv web sites, and just came up confused... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I have removed the exhaust restrictions on this quad, didn't find anything in the carb, and there's no wire to clip on the CDI module... but it sure seems like there is something holding it back... once it winds out, it acts like the ignition is dropping out, keeping it from reving any higher.

Is there a rev limiter in the CDI module on this quad? Can it be overriden? If not, can it be replaced with a module that doesn't have a limiter or that can be disabled? The '03 Scrambler 50's have a removable limiter.. could I just get a CDI module from one of them and remove the limiter? What other options are there.

Or... am I wrong about this and need to look elsewhere on this quad for the reason it won't rev? Even my 5yo noticed that it "sounds funny and won't go fast" when it winds out.

TIA, Bryce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 07:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'02 Scrambler 50 rev limiter?

Give Billy at WRH Racing a call at (251)675-9906
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 01:05 PM
rodd1

let me know what you find out i have the same model and year no luck on cdi thanks john [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 01:35 PM
tony1034

You may want to check two other things.

1] Take off the carb and remove the fuel bowl. Some of these carbs have a double stacked main jet.

2] With the carb off, check for intake restrictions leading to the reed cage. Some manufacturers use a molded restriction in here too.

Good luck.
Tony P.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What do you mean about a double stacked jet?? Are there actually 2 jets and I can remove one? I'll take a look at that and for a restriction in the intake... I've had a few others tell me that it's the main jet and that I need to increase it's size.

It would have been so nice if these manufacturers put one adjustable restriction on these little quads (throttle restriction) rather than making me spen all this time making it run good.

Thanks, Bryce
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 11:08 PM
tony1034

Hi Bryce,

I don't have any experience with the scrambler 50, but I have read about many different ways these bikes, especially the 50's, are restricted. As for the doubled up jet and intake restrictions, I'm not sure if they apply to your bike, but I'd check for em anyways. I don't think your year 50 has a CDI limiter. But the reed stops on the reed cage are certainly limiting flow. Another thing you can do for sure is update the air cleaner and re-jet. You can upgrade to a Uni or K&N. If you check around your local hobby shops, you should be able to find one that sells the Xacto numbered drill bit sets (#60-#80) and a pencil drill. When you're ready to re-jet the carb, you can go up 0.001" at a time till its perfect. To convert to jet sizes which are metric, just multiply the drill bit size by 25.4. For example .032 is @ a 81.3. Finally, if you don't mind pre-mixing, removing the oil injection is the way to go. If you decide to go the pipe route, keep in mind it will be very loud and you will have to modify the tranny/clutch. I would also call Billy at WRH Racing as Shano suggested.

Good luck.
Tony P.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The double stack main jet and intake restrictor only applys to the suzuki and kawasaki 50cc quad. The only restrictions on the 2002 Polaris 50 are the cdi unit. You and either replace it with an older model cdi unit or order a performance cdi unit from WRH Racing (251)675-9906
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode