looking for a 50cc atv for my 6yr. old - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

looking for a 50cc atv for my 6yr. old

I stumbled upon this BB and read a few posts, as well as trying to research a large assortment of minis. My oldest son turns 6 in April, and we want to get him an atv for his Birthday. I want an ATV with a full suspension. I saw the writeup of the Kasea Mini Skyhawk 50 and it barely has a front suspension. I would also like this atv to last for several years since it will get past down to his 2 younger brothers. I would appreciate honest opinions and experience on what other people have, like/dislike etc. Two stroke, or four
stoke. I like the the idea of disc brakes, but not many have them. Some don't have front brakes at all. Ease of control for a smaller hand. Seems like some were designed for lareger hands, but on a kids atv.? Again, just good honest thoughts.
Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 01:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: looking for a 50cc atv for my 6yr. old

where r u from? i have a 50 eton lightning that i am selling cheap in order to move up to a 90 or 100 for my daughter
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 03:25 PM
tony1034

LT500,

This is a judgement call on you. How big is he? Height and weight? Will he be racing or using it just for fun?

I bought my son the mini 50 because he just turned 5. He also has a little sister that will ride it this August when she turns 3. It is an amazing bike to learn on. It's only @110-120 pounds. The larger 50 and 90's are 220-240 pounds. If you plan on having more than one bike it would be a cheap investment ($1100) to see if he is really into it. Then once he's cool with it, give it to the younger ones and get him a 90cc ($1800-$2500) bike (unless he is gonna race, then get a 50cc). The larger 50's and 90's are typically the same chassis. The only difference is usually 16" tires on 7" rims, vs 19" tires on 8" rims. You can tune the 90 down for a beginner and then the sky is the limit has he gets older and gains more experience. But I can tell you that the mini 50 flies after just removing the two restrictors and even though it doesn't have a lot of suspension travel, handles great for flat tracks, fields, trails, hills and smaller jumps.

Basically the decision is up to you. And only YOU, KNOW your child and his/her abilities. Just be sure to get all the safety gear before he rides.

Good luck.
Tony P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 03:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My son is 45" tall and 50ish lbs. He has had a Kawasaki battery powered atv that he drains in about 40 mins. He rides the snot out of it now. He jumps, goes over hills, snow, whatever. I know it's not gas powered, but he's ready for a gas atv now. I doubt he will race it. Not much atv racing around here, plenty of mx for the bikes though. He will go on trails, with plenty of rocks, and we have several mx tracks in the area that allow atvs. We also go to the sand dunes. The closest kasea dealer does not have any 50s at all. He could order us one, but I would like to see one close. Lastly, a guy in town has 2 polaris 50s (new ) for sale. I am in Colorado...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 01:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My boy just turned 6 in January. Bought him a Skyhawk 90(which is the same frame and susp as the 50). Cost $1825 out the door, plus $125 for the rack and headlights (real headlights). It's a great size for him, and I resticited the throttle down more than designed. Nice machine and no problems so far, and have been riding almost every weekend since Xmas.

Very sharp bike. Got it in red. Everyone out wheeling and sledding on the lake thinks it's a new mini-400EX and wants one for their kid. Looks just like one.

Dad purchased, Kid approved. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 09:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

At that size I would suggest a full size 50. If you want disk brakes there is only two choices. Either a Dinli or an Eton.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 09:49 AM
tony1034

If you're in Colorado, check out:

www.anythingatv.com

They have good prices. I paid $1,100 for the mini 50 in NJ. Tim is in NY and got a great price in NY on the 90.

If you're gonna get the larger Skyhawk, I'd get the 90. Turn down the throttle limiter screw (remove bolt and get a longer one ... its metric). The 90's 8" rims offer more tire selection. Go to Walmart and get some Carlisle Snow Hogs. You can put 18's on the front and 16's on the back. They will hook up much better than the stockers, the bike will handle better and be a bit lower for the 6 year old. The smaller 16's on the back will also reduce top speed, but give it more torque on the bottom end and quicker acceleration. I think that the increased acceleration will allow him to use the throttle to ride safer, yet the top speed will be slower. When he gets older, remove the carb restrictor, replace air filter with K&N and rejet. Then slap the 18's on the back and put 19x6-10 ITP holeshots on the front. With the carb restrictor and 16's, top speed will be around 24-25mph. With the restrictors removed and 18's it will top out around 34-35mph. Just my opinion and some food for thought.

Good luck.

Tony P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode