Does Sportsman 90 have restrictor? If so where? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does Sportsman 90 have restrictor? If so where?

[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]Does anyone if the Sportsman 90 has a throttle limiter? If so Where? [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 03:59 PM
tony1034

Re: Does Sportsman 90 have restrictor? If so where?

Some youth quads have one or more of the following restrictors:

1] carb restrictor - smalll brass sleeve that sits above the carb slide. Take off the air cleaner and look down the carb and you'd see it if it were there. Limits the slide to maybe half throttle.

2] exhaust restrictor. Washer in head pipe near where it bolts to the block. Mostly mini 50's have this.

3] Some bikes have a revlimiter on the CDI. It is a green wire coming out of the CDI. Not sure if the Sportsman has it. Check out the CDI post on ATVSOURCE youth forum.

There are tons of other restrictors out there, but these are the basic do it yourselfer, free mods.

Tony P.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sometimes there is a restrictor in the front variator. Your sportsman only has the washer is the header pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 07:45 PM
mrgeorge

Some of these machines (Alpha and Polaris for sure) have a rev limiter "jumper" installed on the CDI box. It's a sheet metal strip that's removable by taking out a couple of phillips screws that hold it. Without removing this jumper, the motor will only rev to 4 or 5k rpm. The dealer is not allowed to remove it, but the shop manual describes the procedure.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i just pulled the exhaust on my son's polaris sportman 90 and there is no "sleeve" in the head pipe. there is also nothing in the carb throat or on the cdi box. from the dealer the machine revs at 7700 rpm. i have a rev indicator that plugs on the sparkplug wire. after some minor adjustments on the carb, it now runs out at 10,000 rpm. it will pull the front up while starting from a stop (uphill) i can ride the wheely up the driveway and i weigh about 170 lbs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 11:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What about front shock adjustments. I weight about 210, and when I get on it, the front tires spread out almost into a split....yeah, I know, get off my son's machine and lose some weight, haha. 2001 90.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the shocks are set at the softest point all the way around. it doesn't start to move untill about 2500 rpm, then it scoots!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone here worked on a 2002 Sportsman 90. Not a 2001 or a 2003. Ealier in this post it was written there there may or may not be a washer restrictor in the exhaust and a possible CDI one....is there? And what small carb adjustments can make it run better (more power) at low rpm's as now it has to be at full throttle to make it go. My son doesn't need much more, so any I an not looking at any aftermarket items yet (my younger son will just take if over when he gets of age)

I don't have a ton of time to tear things apart as I barely have time to ride with my boy, so any specific help would be much appreciated. Thanks. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 11:31 AM
tony1034

Easiest suggestion would be to call Billy at WRH_Racing. With a few minutes on the phone he can tell you everything about your Sportsman. Hope this helps.

http://www.wrhracing.com/

WRH Racing
1551 Forrest Avenue
Saraland, AL 36571

Tel: 251 675-9906
Fax: 251 675-0618

Best regards,
Tony P.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, I would prefer not....I don't intend on buying anything and would rather just have someone answer me on this board. Seems like this Billy at WHR racing is pretty popular as many posts are ending with "contact Billy" instead of someone posting on their experience [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. When I need to mod the ATV, I will be more then glad to contract him. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode