LEM 50cc Condor for 3yr old ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

LEM 50cc Condor for 3yr old ???

I have read many opinions here about youth atv's, but have not seen anything about LEM quads. I am getting ready to purchase a quad for my son's third birthday. So far I like the LEM Condor. I wonder how it compares to the Kasea mini and the Suzuki LTA-50. I would like him to get into racing when he is 5 so with that in mind what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 08:02 AM
tony1034

Re: LEM 50cc Condor for 3yr old ???

My youngest daughter just turned two in August. She is about 27 pounds and about 33 inches tall. I put her on my son's Kasea mini 50 and she drove it around the yard. I turned in the throttle limiter all the way so the throttle maybe moved 1/8 of an inch. She was doing ok on it in the big yard. She was able to steer it a bit, but not completely. I walked along side her holding the hand grip at times. She can ride the wheels off my son's old 12 volt powerwheels truck. I give her about 4-5 months and with a little practice she'll be riding the mini pretty good. I havn't seen an LEM condor. At that age, I don't know if any of the bikes make a difference, but what I can say is that the Kasea mini 50 flies with some mods (see my other post Kasea mini 50 hop ups). The bike is electric start, which is really nice. The engine/trans is the same as in the bigger Skyhawk 50 and has proven reliability. Also between this forum, the atvsource forum and all the racers out there, the assistance is endless and top notch. I paid $1100 for the mini in NJ. Don't know how much the LEM is. I would compare weight, seat height and wheelbase if its for a 3 yr old.

Good luck!
Tony P.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 03:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. The condor is about the same seat hight and weight as the kasea mini but I think it has more suspension travel (3.5 Front and 6.0 Rear). Also it is not an automatic but I dont know how many gears it has or if there is a hand clutch lever. It costs about $1500 so I think all in all the Kasea may be a better deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 01:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The condor is a single speed automatic. The only thing I don't like about the Kasea is the suspension. It incorporates the two worst suspension designs in the mini quad market. the swing arm front (raptor 80) and the unit swing on the rear (LT80). You might also check out the Alpha Sport mini 50 and the Eton viper 40. I like the Alpha Sport better because its the only one with front brakes. I would never put my child on a quad with out front and rear brakes, if one fails hows he going to stop?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 05:47 AM
tony1034

I agree with Shano that the suspension on the mini is nothing compared to the full size 50's and 90's. However, the bike is very small at only @110 pounds. Used for riding around the yard and on trails, the bike is fine. My son climbs hills and flies over smaller hills that I usually go air-born over on my 400ex. The rear drum brake has worked well, but I would have loved it, if it had the front drum brakes too. Bone stock, the mini is very slow. For a 3 year old I'd leave it that way. At those slower speeds, the suspension and brakes are fine. As you step it up when the kid gets older, more caution is advised. But when your kid is 3, 4, 5 or 10 .... would you not always supervise them? The mini is a great little starter bike. This is what Kasea had in mind designing the mini, a place for the 3-6 year olds to get started. I'm glad I didn't get the bigger Skyhawk 50 for my son who just turned 5. The larger youth bikes are just too big for a kid his age, size and weight. He loves riding it and with every minute of seat time, he gets better and better at controlling the bike. When he gets older, the transition to the Skyhawk 50/90 will be a breeze. On another note, I've had several people offer to buy it off me when my son steps up. You will have no problem selling it when you're ready and the resale value is just as impressive. Like raptor720 told me when we talked about the mini, know your limitations and what the bikes intended use is for.

Best regards,
Tony P.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the Eton viper 40 and the Alpha Sport mini 50 are the same size as the Kasea mini 50. Just keep in mind a starter quad is not a racer. When you child gets enough experience to get out on the track and begin racing step him up to a full size 50 (Xtreme, Kasea, Eton,Dinli, Polaris, LEM)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 05:56 AM
tony1034

Definitely! When he's ready to race (6 or 7 years old) I'll be buying him a bigger bike.

Tony P.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My son who will be 4 in Feb. just got a Condor for Christmas and he loves it and fits on it perfect. And it has good power for a mini, we have the throttle limiter in for now but he rips around the yard on it and is starting to slide it sideways in the corners(he watches his brother flat track) I also checked out the Kasea's but my nephew got a 65 I think it is and they have had problem after problem w/ it. My niece has the Lem Cayman which has been modified all around for flat tracking and it's a great quad. The only thing is the Lem needs a foot break and we're checking into installing one for him. He likes it much better than the ATC70 he learned some on, it almost had him scared cuz it kept tipping on the turns so we took him off so he wouldn't be scared of riding and he's ok now. Good luck on your purchase. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 02:40 PM
tony1034

The Kasea KS65 is a four stroke that is made in China. It is junk and they don't sell them anymore. They are not available in the US. The Skyhawks are a totally different bike.

Tony
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 06:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tony hit the nail right on the head. The KS line were full of problems. Kasea does not sell these any more. The Skyhawk line is virtually trouble-free. The Skyhawks are simply great bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode