Bombardier ds50 restrictor ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bombardier ds50 restrictor ?

Hi all...I didn't notice any post about bombardier youth quads but hopefully someone will have an idea to help me out. My sons '02 ds50 runs really good but seems to hit some kind of rev limiter when full throttle (almost like the choke is on). The choke is electronic though [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It just doesn't tork up very high. I've tore the exhaust off and took the carb apart and there was no restrictor in either or at least none that I could see. There was a restrictor in the intake though...My dealer doesn't know jack and I don't think bombardier does either. My dealer told me there was a restrictor in the carb and bombardier told me there was one in the exhaust. I can't find either? Maybe I'm looking right at it! Any tips? Any idea at why it dosen't seem to rev out very good? It has tons of bottom end. It can haul me (200lbs) up any hill. Hopefully someone will have some ideas for me. I'd appreciate it.

Thx

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bombardier ds50 restrictor ?

matt my son has a e-ton 50 his was doing something like that it had an electronic governor . Ihad to cut a wire on the backside of the cdi box and tape each end up. My e-ton dealer told me this wire was put outside on purpose . Many of the taiwanese made machines are pretty much similiar so I am told. So maybe this may be the case with your sons ds50. I know my son and I were both unhappy with the machine until Icut this wire. Totally different machines before and after.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Waltd...That sounds like the probablem but how do I know which wire to cut? Do I chop away until I find it? I'll check the cdi box and see if there is a wire on it that could be causing this problem. I appreciate the info.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 05:31 AM
tony1034

Hi Matt,

It is my understanding that many 50cc youth quads have a rev limiter, where the 90cc models do not. I guess this is another way for them to regulate top speeds to conform to CPSC guidelines. This would be in the CDI box. Each of the youth models are different so I'm not sure about your model. I've heard of some people buying aftermarket CDI's (for example, see Trinityracing.com for their Kasea CDI box) or swapping out the CDI for one from the larger 90cc models. The CDIs have a timing map too, so it may not be that easy and you could cause serious damage to the motor. I would check with one of the professionals out there. Try Raptor720 here on this forum, or check out www.hetrickracing.com or Peak Powersports at www.dirtrides.com. They have their numbers listed and you can call them. These guys would be your best bet.

Tony P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode