tire sizing & why - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tire sizing & why

I have a artic cat 90 & a blazer 50 {same as Polaris}
I am running 19x6x10 itp on front & 18x9.5x8 turf tamers on rear,,,WHY is it when I look at pictures of other kids atv's are they running small tires???? can someone teach me the pro's & con's ..what tires & sizes should I use for racing????thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: tire sizing & why

We run the same tires as you do up front, but for the back I like the 18x6.5x8 snowhogs. they are alot less weight and they also let the bike turn better with out trying to push the front end.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

why go to a narrow tire???will it not tip easier??how about a 16 inch on the rear will this not speed up the atv??I think itp makes a 16x6.5x8 tire to match the front..also doe the 50cc need a smaller tire to spin the rear end in turns??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We really don't have a problem with tipping. The 16" tire will lower your gearing and will make the atv accelerate faster but will suffer on top speed. It will also change the steering angle and make the handling slower.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 09:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My boys are riding a Skyhawk 90 on the ice and hope to do some TT or Motorcross this summer. Would the 18X6.5X8 Snowdogs work for us. Is the dia. the same as stock so the bike won't loose top end on the oval track on the ice. I can't find a picture of the tire what is the tread like [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> </font color>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 06:46 AM
tony1034

The SnowHogs are made by Carlisle. Check out
http://carlisletire.com

You can buy them at Walmart for like less than $30 bucks. They may even have some on the rack. When I bought them for my son's Kasea mini 50, both the 13x5-6 and 15x5-6 tires measured a bit shorter in diameter than advertised in the Carlisle catalog. They hook up inredibly!

Tony P.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2003, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what do you think of putting the 19x6x10 also in the rear as well as the front ??when do you go to a 16 " tire vs 18 ".does a 18x9x8 really slow down the atv?? or when is this a good compo??
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 19" holeshots where designed to be run an the front. I like the 18x6.5x8 snowhogs for the rear. I only run the 16" when the track is very tacky and there are lots of turns. As far as the 18x9.5x8 turftammers go they make good tires for hard pack, but the extra weight robs HP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode