Another looking for a youth ATV thread - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2002, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another looking for a youth ATV thread

I have a daughter that just turned 13. She is about 5 feet
tall,maybe around 130 pounds. I recently bought a Suzuki King Quad to use mostly for hunting but for some recreation.
I would like to get my daughter an ATV of her own. I had a
1988/1989 LT80 myself back in '89 even though I was 5'11"
and 180 pounds. I was obviously too big for it. It bottomed the rear suspension frequently but I never had a problem with it. So I am somewhat partial to the LT80 but am looking for advise from those who know more than me. I think the LT80 may be physically small for her, the Yamaha breeze "looks" better with her on it but is
a 125. She has virtually no riding experience. I have read enough here to know that this is a pro-Kasea forum, but that is OK I have read good things about them elsewhere.
What would you guys recommend?

Who makes the majority of the youth ATV's, is it one company
or a few companies and many different badges? Which brands are tough and reliable and which are not? Which are smaller in size and which are a little larger? I would likely lean toward buying something from one of the big 4 japanese companies due to reliability and parts/service support. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks, Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 06:50 AM
tony1034

Re: Another looking for a youth ATV thread

Jon,

Check out: http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/

They have a Youth-Size ATV Comparison. They also have some reviews (Polaris 90, Kasea Skyhawk 50, Alpha Sport and new LT50). The Kasea Skyhawk 90 and the 50 are the same bike other than engine size, transmission setup, final drive ratio and tire/rim size. They have links to some of the manufacturer's websites. Note some of the major differences before making a decision.

1] 2 stroke or 4 stroke?
2] Electric Start or Rope Pull?
3] Backup Kickstart?
4] Rear Foot Brake?
5] CVT or shifter model?
6] Suspension

Being that your daughter is older and bigger, you'll probably want something that you can easily work on and probably tweak a bit so keep that in mind.

My top two choices would be:
#1 Kasea Skyhawk 90
#2 Polaris Predator 90

As for the Xtreme Pro 100, there is a lot of talk as it will have a larger 90+ cc engine and a reverse gear, but I've yet to see one and no one has any experience with them.

Just my opinion......

Good Luck with your decision.

Tony P.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 10:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine size does not concern me since I modify for the application and rider. What I consider is the suspension, strength, features, looks. Price usually does not come into play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for that link. It is helpfull.
2 or 4 stroke I really dont have a preference on. 2 strokes tend to make more power. Electric start would be more convenient, a backup kick/pull start would be nice. CVT I think would be nice for a beginner, as she could concentrate more on steering/braking etc...without having to worry abot being in the proper gear. A rear foot brake would be good in case she decides to keep riding and move up. She wouldn't have to re-learn braking. I am concerned about fitting due to her height, and I am concerned about suspension due to her weight. I'drather start her off on a 80-90 than a bigger engine/heavier machine but are the 80-90
machines going to fit her or carry her weight? I was also
wondering if an atv park would allow a youth rider to ride a machine over the recommended cc size. I guess I would have to call them about that. She has ridden my King Quad 300 but has a hard time steering such a heavy beast.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 06:37 AM
tony1034

I've read, heard or seen too many kids get hurt or even killed on adult size machines. Just think how much heavier a 250ex (349 lbs) is compared to a 90 youth quad (@220-240 lbs). The dimensions are bigger in every way too. It takes quite a bit of effort to throw a quad around. The 90 youth models are made for 12-16 year olds. Some parents that have put their kids on full size bikes, and their kids have gotten hurt, have even gotten in trouble with the law. Many parents think that they'll get their kid a bigger quad so they can GROW into it. This is a very BAD idea and something you may regret. The 90's I've seen could carry a 200 pound adult with ease. As for the suspension, you can later buy a set of aftermarket A-arms and 12" Showa shocks that would make the bike handle much better. They'll also make it wider. But the suspension on a stock Kasea 90 should be no problem for her. If she gets into MX, then I would modify the suspension regardless of age and weight. As for performance, most of these 90s can be made to blow away a 250ex, a 300ex and even keep up with a 400ex.

Good luck.
Tony P.
By the way, I'm just an ordinary guy that bought a 400ex for myself this summer and a Kasea mini 50 for my 5 year old son. But I've been following these boards for quite a while now as well as another forum. I'm totally hooked! I will be buying a Kasea Skyhawk 90 for my wife. She's 5'2" and weighs about 100 pounds. Most people would tell me to get her a 250, but she rode the Skyhawk 90 and loved it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 05:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Tony, that is kind of what I wanted to hear. I keep
forgetting that I rode that LT80 13 years ago. It just looks
so tiny now,maybe because everything else is so big nowadays. There are a couple of Kasea dealers around, maybe I'll check them out. The salesman at the dealer where I bought my King Quad and my streetbike said the quality of the LT80 was much better than the Polaris Predator 90
parked next to it. I never dealt with him before, if I go back there to look some more I'll ask the salesman that sold me my King Quad.I'm going hunting tomorrow,there are 2
Kasea dealers on the way back,depending on what time I get out of the woods maybe I can have a look. Quality is a major
concern on my purchase. What good is a toy if it's broken right?

Thanks,Jon
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The new Xtreme Pro 100 will be out in 4 weeks.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 06:02 PM
gopro

Go to E-Ton America.com
to see the review by ATV and 4 wheel action
Roost On !
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would go with the Kasea. it does'nt have the reliability problems that the E-tons, Polarises, Extreme, etc. have.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No Kasea's to be found. How do you say that anyway? Is it
Kay-see-ya or KC or Ka with a short "a" see-ya or what?
Anyway I bought a 2003 LT80 today. My daughter sat on a
Kawasaki KFX80 the other day and it fit pretty well. I got it from the same dealer I got my street bike and my King Quad 300 from. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode