Picked up my kids, Skyhawk 90 today. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Picked up my kids, Skyhawk 90 today.

All I can say is, wow, nice quad. Very happy. Checked out the 250's. Definately getting my lady one for her b-day.

But had a snafu. The quad didn't have the tether leash on the back. Not that it wasn't installed, it was never there! No pig tail into the harness, not even the tab welded to the frame to hold the switch. Very odd indeed.

They called a Ken from Kasea on his cell phone, who was very much surprised to hear it. His best explanation is that a bunch slated for international got into the US mix. Whatever.

They took about 2 hours switching over the red plastic to a yellow one that had the switch. All in all, it's no big thing. If I didn't already get eveything else color coodinated in red, I wouldn't have cared.

I got the lights, which actually illuminate the way at night. Rather bright for what they are. And the cargo rack is cool too.

I think I will have a vary happy boy in a couple days. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 08:41 AM
tony1034

Re: Picked up my kids, Skyhawk 90 today.

Tim,

Congratulations! You and your son will love that Skyhawk 90. Once you open up that throttle limiter (and if you ever remove the carb restrictor) you will be amazed at how powerful the bike is and with you on it. My wife test drove a Skyhawk 90 and she loved it. They had a Skyhawk 250 there and I thougt it looked really cool. The suspension was very beefey and the engine had some chrome on it ... really sharp. At $2850 I think it was a steal compared to a 250ex at $3900. You can do a lot with $1050. Like buy a helmet, goggles, gloves, chest protector, boots, neck collar, jersey, pants, nerf bars and still take your whole family out to dinner. I never saw a write up on the Skyhawk 250, but I'd bet it's faster than a 250ex, handles just as good and is easier to mod. I don't care for the shaft drive on the 250ex. The Skyhawk 250 has a nice looking rear axle with a chain and sprocket setup.

Thats interesting about the rear tether thing. I removed the one on my son's mini 50. Just pluged the two two wires together and unscrewed the tether piece. After hopping it up a bit, I couldn't possibly walk (run) behind it holding that tether anyways. But I do like the wrist piece.

Hmmm ...... maybe they'd cut me a deal on that yellow 90 w/o the tether.

Tony P.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thrash tested the Skyhawk250. It is superior to even the 300ex. I have one for a play bike. Before too long, it will be a Skyhawk 450.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 03:52 PM
tony1034

Hey Raptor, what are your thoughts on that Skyhawk 90 that did not have the rear tether piece as Tim ran into above? If its the exact same quad otherwise, maybe they'll give me a deal on it and I'll pick it up now rather than in the spring. Their price of $1750 is pretty damn good anyways. I'm in NJ so I wonder if I could get it w/o paying NY sales tax ???

Tim,
Was everything on the quad the same? Engine, suspension, rims/tires, lighting hookups and all?

Tony P.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

They would probably love you for buying that. It's yellow now! maybe they'll throw in a light or rack kit for the loss of the switch.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Sorry, didn't ready eveything.

Yup, it was otherwise completely the same. Just missing the switch.

It was $1825 with tax. Dunno if it's leaving the state. I paid exactly $2000 out the door for the 90 with rack and lights added
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 06:11 AM
tony1034

My 2002 400ex is yellow and my son's Mini Skyhawk 50 is yellow, so I want a yellow Skyhawk 90 (Makes things easier with helmets and other gear). So that bike would be perfect.

It was pretty cool yesterday. My wife drove over to this little area I made a nice hill/jump where my son and I ride. She video taped us going around, doing jumps (my son doesn't get too crazy over the hills but he'll get the front wheels off the ground a bit), do-nuts and me doing wheelies. We rushed home to watch it. The bikes sound really cool on the video. I'd love to watch a video tape of Raptor720's kid on a modified Skyhawk, or his 70+ Hp Raptor.

Tony P.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Raptor. The Skyhawk 250 is awesome. The Magazines don't give a rave review, but, it is definately not slow and it handles great !! How is 65-70MPH...stock !! If you get a UNI filter air box vent kit, it will really help it rev quicker, longer, & gives it more overall power. I have personally raced it against a Blaster, 250EX, and a 300EX. In a 500 foot drag, on pavement, it beat the blaster by 70 feet or so. The other two were way behind the Blaster.

Can't wait for the 450 kit, Raptor.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 06:14 AM
gopro

Let the compromises begin.
For 2000 otd you could have bought the Viper 90 chances are you would not have had the same quality control issues.
Did I understand that the dealer had to add on lights?
E-Ton's are equipped with all the good stuff from the factory.
Otherwise,I agree with you on the 250 it has to be the best entry level Sport Adult Quad available.But,how about durability.
Does it truly outrun a 300EX?
Roost or be Roosted!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is there a way to install Full Floorboards on the 50 an/or 90. Is it that important?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode