Purchasing a Youth ATV - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 01:14 PM
antman

Purchasing a Youth ATV

Want to buy a youth ATV for my son(8). I read all the praise about the Kasea and called my local dealer (30 miles away) who told me he no longer carries them because he had such a hard time getting parts from the manufacturer. So now I'm left with Bombardier, Arctic Cat, Polaris, etc... Not looking for a racing quad but rather a reliable machine that's gonna start and go without too many issues. Don't like the Honda, Polaris, Kawasaki, Yamaha, all seem overpriced. What about Bombardier, Arctic Cat ??? Looking for any comments ???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Purchasing a Youth ATV

My local dealer also stopped selling Kasea. They said it was a GOOD quad but they too couldn't get parts, and they took to long to get paid on warranties. Looks like Kasea needs to get their act together. Maybe you can order one, and if you ever need parts there are a few people on these forums that can get them for you.
As far as your 3 choices; I'd go with the Polaris (Predator 90). It looks good and they have upgraded a few thing on it. Also, you shouldn't have problems getting parts for it. And all mods that can be done to the Kasea can also be done to the Predator. (pipes,big bores,a-arms,nerf bars,etc.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I picked up an Arctic Cat for my 9 year old as an XMAS gift. After research, I could not justify the xtra cash for some of the other models. I was concerned about parts for the Kasea.

It came down to the Polaris and Arctic Cat, both sold by a local reputable dealer (which was important to me). The Cat appeared to be a little more solid to me.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Food for thought:

ATV Magazine (Sept. 2002) did an article on 6
kids quads. Here is the top speeds;

Artic Cat 90 16mph
Bombardier DS90 20
Honda TRX 90 28
Polaris Scrambler 90 25
Suzuki LT80 23
Yamaha Raptor 26

They rated the Artic Cat a 7, Bombardier 6, and the Polaris 7.5 (10 being the the best)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 04:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure where you live. Kasea had some distributer areas, where the distributer would not stock parts. There is only one distributer in the states, now. All of the rest of the country is dealer direct. If you were looking at Skyhawk 90s, there is no problem with parts. The Bombardier & Arctic cats are "pretty", but, there are reliability problems. If you have to drive a couple extra miles to a Kasea dealer, it would be worth it to have a super reliable quad. You can go to www.kasea.com to locate a dealer nearest you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I believe Master Wrench is talking the truth here.

I asked my dealer about the parts availability issue. He said a few years back it was horrible. Hard to get anything. Something about parts did not come from Kasea or something??? He said that all changed ever since the Skyhawk line started. Parts are no problem he assured me, as they come from Kasea.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 06:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Cat does 18 out of the box. Can be modified to do 28 (by removing speed controls).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 06:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can you be specific about reliability problems related to the Arctic Cat. I have heard the opposite, very reliable but not the fastest machine.My kid does not race, so speed it not important for me. In fact I am worried about too much speed.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would go with the Polaris. It may be a little extra money, but the suspension is well worth the extra money you will have to pay for it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 07:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The problems are engine seizeing, electrical malfunctions, & transmission failures. Kasea has none of these problems. Most of the Polaris dealers that I have spoken to, have said that they have had problems with their 50 & 90. The Kaseas are rated #1 in their (50/90) class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode