the trx 90 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2002, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the trx 90

I never see anybody post anything about the honda 90. I think it is the best quad out there. There is so much you can do with modifications to make it super fast. I love this bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 10:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: the trx 90

The TRX is simply too slow for most applications and the cost to make it fast is excessive. In addition, adding a big bore makes it illegal for racing. Perhaps Honda will update the design and add some much needed engine upgrades. I would like to see better suspension, electric start, water cooled multi valve OHC, a substantial weight reduction, etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-21-2002, 10:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We are racing this quad and winning. Why would you want elec. start thats for street or farm equip. having a battery
is not for racing.A kick starter would be nice though.If
a big bore is illegal, which it is'nt where we race, but if it was they should race 2 stroke with 2 stroke & 4 stroke with 4 stroke to make it fare. Don't ya thank Raptor720
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what are you racing against other trx 90s? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Kasea Skyhawk 90 will SMOKE all other stock 90cc quads !! When you modify them, they become little rockets ! For every dollar you spend modifying a Kasea, you'll spend about $5+ dollars on the TRX90. Try getting 60+ MPH out of a TRX90. There is a youth rider racing flattrack & TTs who is doing exactly that.....and wheeling off of the start line !! You might call Trinity Racing and talk to those folks. They will shoot you a straight story. Their main business is modifying quads for racing. The TRX90 is a fairly reliable quad, but, let's leave rope starters for Briggs & Stratton lawn mowers. I cannott understand how some of these manufacturers justify pull ropes and 20 year old technology , yet still price their quads 300-500 more than those with electric starting & modern suspension . Why would intelligent people spend more money on a quad that offers much less ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Master Wrench is spot on. The TRX is more than 20 year old stuff. Honda must laugh every time someone buys one of those farm tools.

I have built many modern youth ATV engines across the country. They are not much different from my son's personal race models except that we test next years products on his machine. When you can beat a Cannondale or the new Suzuki in a 200' race with your TRX, let me know.

Although I remove the electric starter and use the kick starter on my race Kaseas, some of the smaller kids like the electric. I have yet to find a kid who likes the lawn mower pull rope.

As for Trinity, I am the guy who does the research on the Kaseas for Trinity. If you have been beaten by a Kasea, chances are very good that I had something to do with it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:09 AM
tony1034

HAHAHA .... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Go Raptor! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I own a Honda 400ex and would love to buy a youth quad from Honda (good one that is). But IMHO the TRX is a tank. I don't doubt that the kids have fun on them, but I don't expect Honda to modify it anytime soon to compete with the other manufacturers. Too bad for them. I love my son's mini Kasea 50 and will be buying a Kasea Skyhawk 90 soon.

Kinda ironic though how a Kasea looks like a 400ex. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Tony
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Trx 90 is one of the most reliable youth machines on the market. The technology is dated as other people have mentioned. As with any 4-stroke you will need more displacement to compete with a two stroke of equal size. There are many aftermarket parts available.Try finding aftermarket parts for any of those Tiwaneese atvs outside of the one reader who is always promoting his custom one off parts out west.Good luck! I will admit most of the two strokes are faster in stock form, but when you look at how cheep the rest of the machine is made you will reconsider buying one of them.
I bought my son a new 2002 Polaris Scrambler last year for christmas and after two broken oil tanks, two starter gear related problems, a broken gas cap, loose tie rod ends, bent stearing shaft,choke problems we decided to sell it in June.But it was "fast". We bought a 2003 Honda Trx 90 in August and havent had any trouble at all.We have installed a Big Gun exhaust system, K&N air filter, modified the CDI ignition and put on low profile tires with alumium wheels. We plan on installing a big bore kit, cam, and Works shocks in the near future.
The Hond Trx 90 is not the altimate youth Atv, I dont think the altimate youth Atv hasnt been manufactured yet. Any of them will need to be modified for racing applications.The Honda is bullet proof and tons of aftermarket parts are available from a "variety" of manufactures not just one.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 02:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your prized TRX is not made in Japan or America. It is made down the street from all the other minis in Asia.

As for finding parts --- they are available from a few sources. If you want the parts to work properly, you need to talk to the experts just as you would with your TRX.

Now, about your Polaris -- it is junk in my opinion. Being made by Aeon (bottom of the barrel) you can't expect much. It is very sad that Polaris went with such a low quality builder for their mini.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 07:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First off, I am not bashing the fact that the TRX is reliable. It is. Like you said, you bought a "Polaris". It retails for almost the same as the TRX, but, does'nt have the same reliability as alot of other quads. The closer that you really look at the Kaseas, the more that you will see that it is a high quality built machine. Once you take an engine beyond 90cc, it ceases to be a 90.
A little about my background; I have been a motorcycle mechanic for over 25 years, raced on a national team, have been involved in R&D, and, still build race bikes & quads. I still ride & race....even at 43 years young. In fact, I earned 1st overall in the ARK-MO Summer Nationals Motocross Series , racing a Kasea Skyhawk 150cc quad. The only modifications to the engine were a Big Gun header & silencer. I had no mechanical breakdowns in the last two years of racing this quad. In fact, The original clutch plates are still in the quad (and I have constantly abused them) and, they still don't slip !! Do that with any other quad on the market. (RETRACTION: I did blow the seal in the rear shock.) I have tested & abused Kasea quads. They are like a Timex watch....."they take a licking & keep on ticking "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode