Kasea Mini 50 - Hop Ups - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:20 AM
tony1034

Kasea Mini 50 - Hop Ups

Hi all! Figured I'd start a new thread on the Kasea Mini 50. Here are some posts (Raptor720) I've copied from other threads:

Raptor720 Wrote:
After three months of abuse, here is my opinion:

1. With the restrictors removed, it easily hits 20+mph with a 200 pound rider.

2. Starting is easiest in the field. Just turn on the fuel valve and push the button. Within one minute the auto choke is off and it runs like the full size models.

3. Suspension in the front uses an I beam design that is just fine for the purpose. In the rear, the engine is part of the swing arm (like the LT80) but it does not bother me on such a small machine.

4. It comes with a tool kit under the seat.

5. The hand tether is a metal pin design so it should last (I suggest getting a couple of extras just in case).

6. There is no back up kick starter but you could add the side case from a KS5 Skyhawk 50 with some simple mods.

Things that I am watching:

1. Cut the doughnut off the right grip. I had the grip slip back and hold the throttle on.

2. The plastic under the seat may crack in the two front
corners. I took a hot soldiering iron and burned a round hole in each corner to prevent the crack from chasing.

3. If you add lights, use a Raptor style upper dog bone as the light base. It works great.

4. Remove the rear tether (if not needed) by connecting the two bullet plugs together.

5. IF you remove the exhaust restrictor, use high temp sealant on the exhaust flange to prevent leaks. The stock gasket will not hold the exhaust when the restrictor is removed.

6. This ATV can easily be made wider and longer. I have upgraded to an aluminum cylinder, some trans parts, lights and a wider stance.

Other Notes:

1. The 2002 intro model had a CV carb that did not work properly. In late 2002 the carb was updated to the same Mikuni found on the bigger Skyhawk 50 -- a major improvement!

2. I have also noticed that there has just been an air cleaner change. If you get a new mini and the air filter is a small little thing with 6 holes, order the following: 13410-SK2-00 air filter box

Riding gear is a biggie for me. MX boots (I prefer Thor for kids), riding pants, kidney belt, chest protector, C collar, gloves, elbow pads, goggles and helmet.

Raptor720,
All good stuff! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What do you recommend on tweaking the mini 50? If I remove the exhaust resrictor, should I do it in combination with the carb, jetting, etc?

As for a light kit, do you have a picture of your mini with the lights? What do I need to add lights? Does the mini have the lighting coil like the bigger skyhawks? If you're interested, put together a package with all the parts and some hand written instructions and email me the price: [email protected] I'm very interested. I think lighting helps others see you coming, especially on such a small quad.

I'll check on the filter. Is the part # you suggested suitable, or do you suggest a K&N (if available) and jetting to make it run better?

What do you recommend for gas and oil? The manual suggests 92octane or higher and SAE20W synethetic two-stroke oil. What kind of oil does it come with from Kasea? Should I replace it with better oil?

The manual also has a break-in procedure. Should I limit the throttle to 1/2 while the kids break it in? How long should I break it in for?

Thanks for all your help and advice.
You've been great! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Tony P.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Kasea Mini 50 - Hop Ups

I remove the oil injection straight away. I mix 36:1 using Maxima 927. If you ride in very very cold climates, don't use the 927 as it will separate.

I have not tried a K&N on the mini me yet. The carb is so close to the fender that it would look funny. I just upgraded to the part number I listed above. It is fine for the little thing.

Performance upgrades??? Remove oil injection. Add performacne reed block or reed petals, remove carb and exhaust restrictors, air filter options and then --- for real performance, consider an aluminum 50 or 70cc cylinder, different trans roller weights and a different rear 1/2 pulley.

This is an easy machine to make wider and longer. For the front, just extend the width of the I beam. In the rear, just make longer plates between the engine and axle.

For lights, yes, it has the lighting coil. I add an aftermarket Raptor dog bone that has two hole tabs for lights. Choose your lights (I use the little amber fog lights so that I can identify my Kasea from the crowd). I then add a toggle switch for the lights (using one of the extra holes on the dog bone.

These are very fun little machines. Just understand the intended purpose and limitations and you will be fine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 07:38 AM
tony1034

Raptor720, Thanks for the info.

I'm used to sportbikes and relatively new to ATVs. What exactly is a dog bone? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Whick lights did you use? Manufaturer, size, part # would be great.

How hard is it to remove the oil injection? Do I need anything to remove it other than tools? It does run a little smokey and I'm assuming if I get rid of the oil injection and mix my own gas/oil it would probably run a bit cleaner. If you have the time, I'd love to call you and talk to ya personally. I have all the free long distance on my cell-phone I can use. Drop me a mail with your contact info. [email protected]

Thanks,
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 04:44 PM
tony1034

Hey Raptor720 .... Great talkin to ya. You've made me feel even better about my mini 50 purchase. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I removed the brass bushing from the carb sleeve. It was really easy and I didn't have to remove the plastic like you said. It runs much better and is a bit faster. My son is loving it [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'll pick up some sealant for the exhaust restrictor.

I forgot to ask you, where the heck do you get the collar for them to where? I couldn't find it anywhere.

Let me know when that air filter comes in.

Thanks a million!!!
Tony
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 07:30 AM
tony1034

Update

I picked up some Hi Temp RTV sealant yesterday from Pep Boys. I removed the two bolts holding on the exhaust and removed the exhaust restrictor. Put it back together with the larger ring and RTV sealant. The sealant takes 1 hour to cure and 24 hours to completely set. I started it up this morning. Took a while to start. I had the quad standing up on its back end and the gas from the fuel bowl probably ran or something.

It sounds a bit louder, but cool. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
I snapped the throttle after it warmed up and it seemd very responsive and wanted to take off. Hopefully it'll stop raining this afternoon and junior can take it for a spin. He's really riding the heck out of this thing. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

He was riding Thursday with my neighbor's daughter who has a Raptor80 and he couldn't keep up. He had that sad look [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] on his face. But he was having a lot of fun too. It was cool watching them race around.

What difference would it make removing the oil injection and pre-mixing? Would it run cleaner, faster .... both?

Are there any other tire choices for this mini out there?

Tony P.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Remove the oil injection and change the reed petals. It makes a MAJOR difference.

On the tire thing, I am working on some hubs, etc. Hopefully I will have some things soon -- it does take some time.

J
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:38 PM
tony1034

Raptor720,

If I am changing the reed petals and removing the oil injection, which way should I go about removing the oil injection. I saw your post on another forum (with Billy Holt I think) about two ways to do it (flywheel and cylinder method). Not sure which quad you guys were talking about there either. I assume it was a larger Kasea 50/90. Can I get the reeds from Trinity? Do I need to replace the cage too, or does the petals come with the reed cage?

I was looking at that air filter again yesterday and it was annoying me. It doesn't look like the engine gets much air through it.

Tony
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 02:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tony,

I just got the air filter that I mentioned earlier. It is substantially better than the round filter. The new filter will install with a minor cut to the plastic -- just like the newer versions appearing in some dealerships.

On the reeds, I believe Trinity has stock. If not, I think I have a few already mounted in blueprinted stock cages.

The oil injection removal method that I posted will work on the mini. The third option is to simply route the injector line back into the top of the injector tank. This is short term but it works.

J
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 06:40 AM
tony1034

Raptor720

Thanks. I'll give you a buzz later on today in regards to the air filter.

My son and I finally went to the pits and park trails yesterday. He was motoring in the trails. Little cautious on the whopps and hills but did ok. The mini has so much power now with the two restrictors off, he was spinning the rears wheels throwing dirt up some of the hills.

My daughter rode the mini after we got back. She took a turn in the back yard a little wide and the right front wheel clipped one of my fence posts. She was ok, but bent the kingpin bracket a little. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I had to straighten it in a vice and its fine now. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Talk to ya soon.
Tony
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:17 PM
tony1034

Here's a picture of my son and his Kase mini 50.
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 954703-DSC00023.JPG (23.2 KB, 285 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode