LT80 vs. Raptor 80 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 01:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

LT80 vs. Raptor 80

Anyone got any experience with these? I'm trying to select the best ride for an 8 year old that he can ride at least until he's 12. Both of these seem decent, the Suzuki is a 2-stroke automatic, the Yamaha is a 4-stroke 3-speed with an automatic clutch. Use will be purely recreational, and price for both is very similar.

I do not have any access to some of the "off brands" I seel listed, and I don't want to buy anything without checking it out first.

Any words of advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:44 AM
tony1034

Re: LT80 vs. Raptor 80

Two of my neighbors have the Raptor80. They're getting nerf bars, bumpers and skid plates for them. You can check out Raptor80racing.com. They offer different 8" Douglas rims that you can mount 18x8.5x8 tires on the rear and they make the quad wider as to not roll as easy. The bikes look very sharp like their big brother the 660Raptor. They also make a pipe for it. We spoke to the owner, his name was Al, and he sounded nice and was very helpful.

I just purchased a Kasea mini 50 and plan on buying the larger Skyhawk 90 soon. I like the automatic over the shifting gears on the Raptor80. The Kaseas are 2 strokes as opposed to the 4-stroke raptor. Even the guy at raptor80racing said the Kasea will cook the Raptor80. Not sure if that matters to you or not. But for me, I'll limit the throttle until my kids get older and more experienced and would rather have that power there when I need it. There's also a ton of mods and plenty people with experience racing the Kaseas.

I don't know anything about the LT80 so I can't comment on it. Not a big Suzuki fan.

Good luck with your decision. Just remember whatever you buy, I'm sure your kid will love it.

Tony P.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Tony- I'd love to check out the Kaseas, but I don't know of any place locally with them to look at. If there's anyone in the Rochester, NY area that owns one, I'd love to take a look sometime...

I too like the idea of an automatic, but I thought the semi-auto idea mught help him transition to a manual in the future... I don't think either way will make much difference in the long run, but if I could eliminate the need to shift in the early learning stages, that would be ideal.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, and if anyone has a Kasea I'd love to check it out sometime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:23 AM
tony1034

I've lived in NJ my whole life, but not too familiar with NY. But that's what mapquest is for. Don't you just love the internet?

Have you checked out Kasea's website? They have a dealer locator. Not sure if any of the NY listings are in your area.

I agree on the automatic thing. Its one less thing for them to worry about. I just keep picturing the kid going up a steep hill and bogging down .... and instead of downshifting, they hit the break and roll backwards. As for helping with the transition, I don't think it would be a problem going from an automatic to lets say a clutch and shifting 300EX when they get older. Kids adapt very easily. It would probably take less than a week to get the hang of it.

Tony P.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK- Kasea, but which?

There's one Kasea dealer nearby, but he doesn't stock anything... others are a few hours away. I really wanted to see one of these things before buying it.

I spoke to my Kase dealer, and he's recommending to get an "Adventure Buggy" rather than the 90- says it's safer, has more power, better resale, and a bunch of other stuff.

While my child is not currently interested in quad racing, who knows... if I get the buggy, I might feel better about safety, but will the experience be the same for him ( Better, worse, or just different)?

One more choice to make now...

Anyone with experience with this Adventure Buggy thing?
http://www.kasea.com/usa/buggy/buggy.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OK- Kasea, but which?

FWIW, I just bought a Kasea Skyhawk 90 today, sight unseen. Should be in by Friday or early nexy week. I made my choice soley upon a weeks worth of researching the different makes available, comparing price/quality/function, reading magazine reviews and as much user feedback as possible on this website and others. When I put the money down today ($200, rest on delivery), I was quite sure that I was not only getting the best 90 quad out there, but getting the best price and value as possible.

If you can wait a week or so, I can give you first hand comments on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode