Is the Suzuki 50 quad a good starter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Youth ATV For discussion of all youth ATV's 125cc and smaller.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Is the Suzuki 50 quad a good starter?

I'm looking at buying my son a quad for X-mas. He'll be turning 6 in January, and he's 50" tall and almost 70#s, so the 50 is perfect. I'm also a big Suzuki 4x4 nut, so Suzuki is the only choice for me. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Questions, is it a good runner? (I've always had good luck with Suzuki bikes). How is it for modifying as he grows?

FYI - I can only get him a 50, not the larger LT80. Locally, a 9 y.o. was seriously injured on a LT80 recently. The NYS Child Protective Services got involved (the hospital made the complaint) and are bringing charges of child endangerment and abuse against both parents, particually the father as he bought it. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] The parents will most likely pay some hefty fines and the dad is facing jail time. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 10:34 PM
MattFisher

Re: Is the Suzuki 50 quad a good starter?

The Suzuki LTA50 is a great quad- for a 4 year old.

My son started riding his at 3, and now at 4 I'm wishing it had better suspension, a transmission, and bit more power. The power is easy to fix, but the suspension and tranny issue isn't (and more power makes the poor suspension seem worse).

You've painted yourself into a corner with the criteria you've given. Maybe get him a Kasea now, and a Zuki as he gets older? Or just go with the LT80.

Sorry to hear about someone getting the goatscrew by our lovely govt... That doesn't mean you have to live in fear though. There may be other circumstances surrounding the other parties situation that you're unaware of.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Matt except..

Remember, the LT50 is not made in Japan and it is a pull start with a manual choke. There is no option for lighting.

Please consider the super mini Kasea 50 (you can get it in Suzuki yellow). It has electric start, auto choke, a full auto trans and suspension (although limited). Figure on $1100 bucks. You should be able to sell it for that in a couple of years.

P.S. You are a good Santa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 06:55 AM
tony1034

Thats too bad about the kid and his parents. This gov't sucks how they go after parents like this. Like they're not suffering enough already.

I agree with Raptor720 about the pull start though. My neighbor bought the Suzuki 50 for his 4 year old daughter. He can't stand the pull start. She shuts it off like 20 times whenever we all go riding.

I'm looking at the Kasea 50 and 90 for my two kids. The one thing I can say is that they'll never ride w/o all the correctly fitting safety equip and they'll always ride with me. I understand I can't be on the bike with them, but I wouldn't take them anyplace where they would be in any serious danger and I'd try to teach them the right and safe way to ride. Otherwise they'll be w/o a bike real quick!

Tony P.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 07:18 AM
tony1034

Raptor720,

The Kasea super mini 50 looks pretty hot. The last time I checked Kasea's website, they didn't have much info on it. Like how much does it weigh? I'm thinking this might be better for my younger one and get the Kasea 90 for the 8 year old. I've also got a third that is 2 years old and would probably love the mini in a year and a half or so. The 5 year old going on 6 is gonna end up on the 90 soon enough so I'd probably be wasting my money getting the larger 50.

Tony P.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a garage full of 90's, a KS and a mini 50 (Kasea calls it a SK2 -- I call it "Mini Me."

After three months of abuse, here is my opinion:

1. With the restrictors removed, it easily hits 20+mph with a 200 pound rider;

2. Starting is easiest in the field. Just turn on the fuel valve and push the button. Within one minute the auto choke is off and it runs like the full size models

3. Suspension in the front uses an I beam design that is just fine for the purpose. In the rear, the engine is part of the swing arm (like the LT80) but it does not bother me on such a small machine.

4. It comes with a tool kit under the seat

5. the hand tether is a metal pin design so it should last (I suggest getting a couple of extras just in case).

6. There is no back up kick starter but you could add the side case from a KS5 Skyhawk 50 with some simple mods.

Things that I am watching>>
Cut the doughnut off the right grip. I had the grip slip back and hold the throttle on.

The plastic under the seat may crack in the two front
corners. I took a hot soldiering iron and burned a round hole in each corner to prevent the crack from chasing.

If you add lights, use a Raptor style upper dog bone as the light base. It works great.

Remove the rear tether (if not needed) by connecting the two bullet plugs together.

IF you remove the exhaust restrictor, use high temp sealant on the exhaust flange to prevent leaks. The stock gasket will not hold the exhaust when the restrictor is removed.

This ATV can easily be made wider and longer. I have upgraded to an aluminum cylinder, some trans parts, lights and a wider stance.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 12:51 PM
tony1034

I was at my local Kasea dealer last week and they said they were getting in two minis this week. I'm stopping by there today after work. Hopefully they have one in yellow. You mentioned in an earlier post that they made a production change on these minis. Don't remember what it was. ??
Too bad you're in CA. Maybe my work will send me to one of the offices in CA one day and I can check out your shop. We have offices is Beverly Hills, San Fran, Cupertino and City of Industry.
Tony P.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am in South Orange County. Look me up.

The 2002 intro model had a CV carb that did not work properly. In late 2002 the carb was updated to the same Mikuni found on the bigger Skyhawk 50 -- a major improvement! I have also noticed that there has just been an air cleaner change. If you get a new mini and the air filter is a small little thing with 6 holes, order the following: 13410-SK2-00 air filter box
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its sad that an 8 year old can go down to the local dealer and buy a Honda Cr500R but not a 90cc mini quad. What can you say it the Goverment. Crazy ain't it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 06:17 AM
tony1034

I went to the Kasea dealer last night after work. They got in two mini's 3 days ago, Red and Yellow one. Some guy came in and was going to buy the yellow one, but his kid wanted the red one. Cool [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] They are asking $1099 for it. I'm going to try and make it there tonight and pick it up, but I'm closing on my re-fi tonight too. Maybe they'll take a deposit over the phone so they can hold it for me. Would've done it last night but I forgot about my closing. I'll check out the air cleaner. Thanks!
Tony P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode