79' yamaha IT carb problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Vintage Dirtbikes Discussion of all things on Vintage Dirtbikes manufactured in 1980 or earlier.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 04:17 PM
GSnerraf

79' yamaha IT carb problem

Hi, wondering if someone out there could help me with a little problem I'm having? I've had my bike for about a year and a half now when I got it it was pretty tore up so I gave it a little TLC and now it's looking and running pretty good. It will start on the first or second kick usually but as soon as I let of the throttle it will die and it will start right back up. I've tinkered with the air and fuel settings but just can't keep it idling without giving it gas. Any ideas out there on what to try short of taking it to a mechanic? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 03:01 AM

Talking

I would suggest removing the carb, strip it, soak it in carb cleaner, blow out all the jets and carb passages with compressed air and refit.

It's not a difficult job and would probably take you roughly an hour to complete
(When removing the air screw, count how many turns in it is, for refitting ... and note which position the circlip is on in the needle).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM
GSnerraf

Thanks Tony I'll try that and see if it works. I'll let you know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode