Yamaha DT175B lower throttle cable? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Vintage Dirtbikes Discussion of all things on Vintage Dirtbikes manufactured in 1980 or earlier.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 09:13 PM
Corwyn

Yamaha DT175B lower throttle cable?

My dad has an old DT175B sitting in the shed that hasn't run in years. The last time I took a look at it, I was just out of college, and the two main things wrong with it were a rusty gas tank and a broken lower throttle cable. The first one is relatively easy to fix (already have the sealant stuff). The second one is difficult, as the lower throttle cable isn't made anymore. Without the split cable, you can't work the throttle and oil adder (or whatever it is you call the thing that adds the 2-stroke oil to the gas) simultaneously.

Oh, and I think it's a 1975...but I'm not sure I remember the year correctly.

Anybody have one lying around, know where one might still be lying around, or have a suitable fix? I'm thinking that it might be a fun project to rebuild the bike slowly whenever I go home to visit my mom...

Thanks!

-Corwyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:59 PM

Re: Yamaha DT175B lower throttle cable?

Parts sources are not going to be easy for the DT175. Have you checked:

www.collectorcarsandbikes.com

and/or:

http://www.bikeboneyard.com/

The good news about something like a DT175 is that they were VERY popular in the day. Scour local junkyards as well to find parts. Dealers will generally be very unhelpful in finding old parts, as most of the new parts guys either arn't enthusiatic, or simply don't know those old bikes. Hell most of these things were built before I was born...

Besides junkyards, you have a few other options. One of them is a dealer called Cycle Max in Pennsylvania. The parts guy there knows his stuff when it comes to vintage parts, and a lot of the service staff members there are vintage cycle enthusiasts.

Unfortunately though, only Honda is really known for having any kind of parts network for such old hardware. You will definately have problems locating OEM/NOS Yamaha parts no matter what you decide to do.

The third option is to find a more recent oil injected two stroke that might also have a split throttle cable. You'll have to talk with somebody that was working on bikes back in the day though for what might be compatible. Oil injection died out pretty much after the road-going 2 strokes died. Of course there is the scooter exception. Most, if not all modern 2 stroke scooters use oil injection.

Best of luck to you on your project. You're going to have a lot of fun once you get that old 175 up and running. Riding an old bike is like taking a trip back in time. You will quickly realize that this 175 isn't really that powerful, well suspended, or braked. And that is comming from someone who has always been a fan of old japanese equipment. The drum brakes will frighten you on dirt or paved roads. Not that it will be gutless, but most modern 125 MXers will crush it in terms of tourqe and horsepower. Riding on skinny tires and with about 6 inches of suspension up front, and about 4 in the back, it will never corner like a modern dirt bike either.

However, in the long run the old 2 strokes are pretty cool. They're lots of fun to ride. And believe me, it will still go PLENTY fast for what you'll need to go to have fun with.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Corwyn

Thanks!

I'll take a look into those links you posted, and if not, I'll start looking for junkyards that might have the part. I did find the lower throttle cable from a '78 DT175 on eBay, but I have no idea if it'll fit.

I suppose, if all else fails, I could just replace it with a single cable and then just manually mix the oil with the gas in the tank instead of depending on the oil injector.

Are you saying that it'll be a bit different from my 2002 YZF-R1? ;-)

Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:41 PM

Well, a good place to start would be to find a shop manual. Look around for one on fleabay. Also, the chances are good that if the shop manual encompasses both the '78, and the '75 model years, then the throttle cable will be interchangeable. This is not always 100% the case, but can often be the case.

Ha, well I see you are a road rider. I too ride on the road. I have an '04 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom. No, not as powerful as that R1, but powerful in its own right, and very comfortable for long haul. I love it. Anyway, you step from my DL and jump on my KE100, and you pull out into traffic: "where the hell did the horsepower go"? You pull up to the red light: "OMG, where the hell did the brakes go"?. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Running premix in an oil injected bike is not adviseable. Chances are good you'd sieze the motor. The bottem end will not get the lubrication it needs with no oil pump control, and the top end isn't going to get the optimum oil/gas ratio. Spark plug would probably foul pretty quick too, although I suspect that would be the least of your worries...

On top of that, if you do ever decide to ride the beast on the road, oil injection is much more convenient (pull up, fill up, be gone). My KE100 (also oil injected 2 stroke) burns oil about 1 quart ever 700 miles or so. DO NOT run your oil tank very low if you intend to ride it through anything remotely bumpy. If you pull an air bubble into that oil pump, you are in for a royal PITA bleeding the system, not to mention the risk of oil pump seizure (which could get nasty, and expensive). I top mine off about every 200 miles (that's a bit more then 1/8 quart). On the highway there is less need for concern, but do yourself a favor by keeping that tank at least above the halfway mark.

Also, since you seem new to oil injection, don't buy just any 2 stroke oil. I would highly recommend buying 2 stroke oil specifically for oil injection. Since practically every 50cc scooter uses this, it's not uncommon at motorcycle shops. Yamalube, Kawachem, and BelRay I know for a fact make 2 stroke oil injection oils. They're known to be top quality oils. Other brands probably exist and would probably work fine on something that old.

Best of luck!
-Craig-
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Corwyn

Once again, thanks a lot for the info!

I found throttle cables from a '74 and from a '76 on that bikeboneyard site you posted, so I sent the seller a question about the parts.

I know what you mean about going from old-school to modern machinery. I used to own a '73 MG Midget (before I gave it to my dad a couple of years ago), and my regular car was (and still is) a '97 BMW M3. I remember one time when I took the MG to work, but had to take the M3 somewhere as soon as I got home from work. At the first stop sign down the street, I came to a stop about 50 feet before the sign. LOL!

Thanks again

-Corwyn
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Corwyn

Oh, and the Haynes shop manual seems to cover '71 through '85. Maybe this bike isn't going to be quite so hopeless as I originally feared... :-D
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 PM

That's a positive sign. My KE100 runs from '76 to '96. That has got to be close to the longest production ever.

However, the Haynes guide will probalby have "supplements" for different years. Generally tiny evolutionary changes are made on bikes through the production. Jetting, mufflers, small tweaks and fuel capacities due to changing trends in tank shape are not uncommon. Your hope though is that not a lot was changed over that production run (which is usually the case).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Corwyn

I wish the guy from bikeboneyard would respond to email :-(
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:19 AM

Two n.o.s. (new old stock) suppliers for that part are www.yamatopdog.com and The Cycle Center 13388 Lovers Lane Culpepper, VA 22701 540-825-5544; fax 540-825-6115 . Both dealerships have literally trailer loads of old Yam parts especially for Enduro and off-road bikes.
Original Dirt
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Corwyn

Nice, I will check them both out. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode