Dead Honda sl125 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Vintage Dirtbikes Discussion of all things on Vintage Dirtbikes manufactured in 1980 or earlier.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:49 PM
YoungVintageRide

Dead Honda sl125

Hello

last december I bought a Honda sl125. I drove it home and parked it in my garage. The next morning all the gas leaked out of it. I found out later that the float was filled with gas. So I drained the gas from it and sealed the hole with solder. That afternoon I went riding. It ran okay but not very well. So I looked into the carb and found out that the float was filled with gas again. So I sealed the float again and then sealed the carb onto the engine. Then I tested it and it had an extrimly large amount of power. The next morning I went to ride it but it ran bad again. So I checked the float and found out that it was filled with gas again. So this time I sealed it with gas proof paint. It ran horrible, no power at all. So I tried the float but it is empty. So then I tried cleaning the carb out with my dads air compressor, but thet dident work. So then I tried cleaning the points, but thet dident work. So then I tried replacing the spark plug, but that dident work. So then I cleaned all the wirring conections, but that dident work. So then I tried It without the muffler, but that dident work. Then I tested the compression, but it is good. So what would you do next?

Thanks for your time,

Samuel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:03 AM
firedog4689

Re: Dead Honda sl125

Go back to the carb, thats where the problem is. If it ran good, ran bad, ran good, ran bad when you were messing with the carb, then 99% chance the problem is still in the carb. Good luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:29 AM
cottonmouthJ

Hey dude I'm 16 and I ride a 1984 CR500R and I was having that same problem. Clean the air filter, take the carb out and dunk it in some brake fluid(eats anything) then dunk it in gas, let it sink in then wash it off with water, and if that doesnt work try either re-jetting or adjust the needle in the carb and if that doesn't work go and see if the reeds are either cracked or broken in any way. actually leave the jets alone but the needle you need to adjust to the climate you live at, the higher the elevation the more fuel needs to go through the lower the lower the gas flow. and the reeds, if they are broke or cracked the gas will just pour through and will foul your bike, reeds job are to open and close to allow a sertain amount of fuel to go through. On my bike we thought it was the needle because the gas was just pouring through but all I needed to do was clean the carb and the air filter, in case you don't know take the filter out and souk it in gas and squeeze it till you get all of the dirt out, don't ring it or it will tear, or if you don't want to go through that problem just buy a new one they are not too expensive, and after you soak it you need to soak it in a specific oil that seals it so it soaks up all the dirt to the filter really stiky oil and keeps it away from the carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 AM
cottonmouthJ

hey dude send me your email to private chat and send me a pic of your vintage and I'll send you a pic of mine, my email is [email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 03:53 PM
YoungVintageRide

Sorry but non of your sugestions worked.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Apprentice

Buy new floats. From experience (many attempts) resoldering never works. The heat from soldering the suspect spot only serves to unsolder another spot (or two). Now that you've painted them, the floats are now heavier and their buoyancy is thus affected. The floats may be hard to find, or maybe not. Haven't checked. But that's what it'll take to fix it... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 10:56 PM
YoungVintageRide

Perhaps with all the paint and solder ... the float had become heavier and will not do it job??...maybe another float would be something to think about ( just to rule the float problem out)

But it runs and dosent leak out the overflow tube.
Also I adjusted the tang(? Spelling) back and forth and it dident make a difference except for it leaking out the overflow tube at one point of the tang(? Spelling)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Apprentice

Well, yes. You must eliminate the floats as A problem before you can move on to other possible probs. If they had gas in them before, they're a problem. And any attempts at fixing them is still going to result in problems. Can't blame you for trying, not at all. Tried many times myself. It has never worked. Now painted, there is no possible way they will work properly (they are certainly heavier). Anyway, get new floats before moving on to other probs so you may properly diagnose them too. At that point, revive the thread by letting us know what's happening then. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 06:49 PM
Yamaguy

I completely agree with the previous post...I have tried and tried to fix floats...buy a new one, it will actually work. i left you info about carb diagrams/info on your other post. honda is pretty good about making old parts available, try a Honda shop that has a good reputation for dealing with older bikes and you will most likely find a float. get a new needle and seat as well, plus bowl gasket...do it once and right and it should work fine. most spray carb cleaners from auto parts stores should be suitable for flushing out the crud, follow with compressed air. Old bikes all need cleaned carbs. Buy or get a copy of the service manual.
I have an old Clymer's manual that lists your bike,
- Float level is .945 inch or 24mm,
- Pilot air screw is about 1.5 turns out from lightly seated. this should be the screw on the air filter end of the carb, on right side. screw it in until it LIGHTLY seats, back out 1.5 turns and that's it. it also might be on left side, but still at rear by air filter boot.
- Clip for needle (in slide) is middle or 3rd
- Idle speed at 1200 rpm.
- Depending on exact model, you could have either a 92, 98 or 100 main jet, 38 slow jet for all types. See your post for carb info for more
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 05:13 PM
YoungVintageRide

Okay, I bought a new float and that didn't fix it. I have been on another form and they helped me fix it. Here they are...
http://boards.eesite.com/board.cgi?b...7&spec=5709830
http://boards.eesite.com/board.cgi?b...7&spec=5719826
http://boards.eesite.com/board.cgi?b...2&spec=5734714

You have to read them to find out what the problem was.
Now I have another problem and it is described in here...
http://www.mxchatter.com/showthread.php?t=167

So what do you think of all my troubles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode