IT175 dies unless choked - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Vintage Dirtbikes Discussion of all things on Vintage Dirtbikes manufactured in 1980 or earlier.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 01:19 PM
KJ175

IT175 dies unless choked

My IT175 has an odd problem - it seems to fuel starve unless the choke is on. I pulled the carb apart and all the jets look clean. It will run great for a few seconds, then die. If you hit the choke you can save it in mid-death. Sometimes you can save it by cranking the throttle open. I don't see any fuel restrictions, and the fact that it runs with the choke open pretty much eliminates that as a cause anyway.

Anyhow, I'm stymied and now looking for a replacement carb. This one is missing one of the float posts anyway and because of that will occasionally dump fuel on the ground.

Anyone have any idea how I can identify the carb on this bike? It is a Mikuni, and is stamped with a JW2 00 in one spot and a Z / 9 in another. Looking those numbers up on the Web bought me nothing. It looks like these carbs are more apt to be identified by the bike they came off or by the throat size (like 34mm).

Any help either fixing the current problem or finding a replacement carb would be greatly appreciated!

KJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Yamaguy

Re: IT175 dies unless choked

I'd contact Sudco or another Mikuni distributor and get an aftermarket one. The guy that works for Mikuni USA was Joe Minton of Minton Mod fame, he perhaps can help you as well. I don't see the year of your bike, so I can't tell for sure, but my guess is somewhere between a 32 and 36mm Mikuni is what came on it. You may also want to check your reed valves, and look for a vacuum leak. usually, vacuum leaks show most at low rpm/throttle opening. that's where I'd start looking as a new carb may not fix it. squirt WD-40 at every joint, including the seal behind the magento whaile the engine is running, if it speeds up, then you found it.
Let me know if I can look anything up for you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode