First Time Buyer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

First Time Buyer

Ok so I am not a 100% new to 4 wheelers but this will be my first time buying one for myself and I have no idea where to start. I have looked at allot of manufacturers websites and have read around. First of all I love going off the natural path, but my truck does not. So I figured I would go ahead and just invest the money into a new 4 wheeler. I am looking for something I can just pretty much take all over. I am looking in the $8,000 or less price range. Need some help please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Just Plain Need A Life

"All over" spans a wide range of riding conditions and uses.

With a utility ATV, there are some differences in how certain models handle specific terrain. Especially on the extreme ends - are you thinking trails as well as sand? Plan on any deep mud bogging where axle torque and breathing is an issue? How developed of trails - old logging roads, or cross-country where ground clearance is seriously important? At what elevations?

I'm becoming a big fan of fuel injection and power steering, and that certainly narrows the list of choices.

How fast do you want to be able to go? I'm not worried about specific MPH, but do you need to be able to beat your buddy back to camp, or are you out to enjoy the scenery? How much gear are you likely to carry? Ever need to tow?

What size, weight and skill level are you?

The good news is that you are starting with a realistic price point at least! And there are some great financing offers from several of the OEMs right now also, as they start to roll out their 2010's..

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Well first off I live in South East Texas. I guess I am around five feet eleven inches and weigh around one hundred and fifty pounds. The areas around me (which will be the main area of interest for the time being) are a combination of pretty much everything. Meaning sand, woods, and lots of mud (which I think is the funnest part). I am not going to be buying this right off the back and plan on waiting for awhile before buying (mainly due to the fact I am a part time student and I need to save a little extra money). I am looking at maybe a 4 wheeler that gives me the option of both 4 wheel and 2 wheel drive. Thanks for the quick response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

A few extra things you may need or wish to know. I have been on a 4 wheeler from the early ago of 14 so my skill level when it comes to the overall aspect is fairly good. I am not looking for something that will just fly meaning I do not need something that can go really fast. As for hauling that would be a plus but I don't know if I will ever need it. The only thing I think I am going to need to carry is (normally) is maybe some camping gear (light).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode