Kodiak or grizzly - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 02:01 AM
langfordman

Kodiak or grizzly

I am new to this whole world of Atv riding and will be purchasing my first quad soon. As far as I can tell I will be purchising a 2006 and just wanted to know a few things.
is the grizzly 660 worth paying the extra for over the kodiak 450 if you are only going to be useing it for trail rideing and camping expiditions? Thanks for any insight you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 07:26 PM
miller_time_nick

Re: Kodiak or grizzly

I have a Kodiak 450 and my friend has a grizzly. We ride about the same and mine has never been to shop for repairs, while his has had to have a rear output shaft seal & front wheel bearings. Also, I can follow him anywhere he goes. The only advantage I see is the Grizzly is taller and keeps the belt vents away from water better & the bigger engine makes it faster. I would say save the money, spend it one some factory size Mud Lites and you will be able to do anything a Grizzly can and then some.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 11:02 AM
langfordman

thanks for the info miller time nick I really appreciate it.I just had two of my friends buy Grizzly,s and two buy Kodiak's so I guess I willl get to see how they both preform. Anyone have any other suggestions about wich quad to bu for a first time buyer any brand,model or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:39 PM

Look at the Bombardier (SkiDoo's) Outlander 400.

It is rated at 30 horse. The 450 Kodiak actually has less and is physically larger like the Grizzly, but weighs no more that the Kodiak.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2006, 01:08 PM
langfordman

thanks for the info jimmy454jrc I will look into the bombardier as an option as there is a dealer not to far from me tell you the truth I never even thought of them as an option. Just one question though anyone know how dependable the Visco-Lok is ?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 09:25 PM
huntinok

The Grizzly gets horrible gas mileage, go with the Kodiak [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 01:11 AM
sizematters

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the info jimmy454jrc I will look into the bombardier as an option as there is a dealer not to far from me tell you the truth I never even thought of them as an option. Just one question though anyone know how dependable the Visco-Lok is ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The visco lock works pretty well but not as good as the differential lock on the grizzly when in tough mud and situations. I have a grizzly 660 and my friend has a bomb. He put larger mud tires on his bomb 27s and it comes from the factory with 26s. The visco started going in and out at random and was hard to control turned out the mechanic said you are suppose to stick with the factory 26in tires. You can swap tread if you want to, but you have to stick with the 26in tires for the visco to work correctly. There is no way to fix the problem except to stick with the factory sized tires. So he put his 26s back on and no problems. His bomb is very fast but I can stay right with him in the trails, go thru mud better, but if we hit a straight away he can go about 83 to my 72, but how often can you go 70 or 80 in the trails, so it's no big deal to me. The bomb is also very expensive and not really worth it. He rides my grizzly and loves it, he says he can't tell the difference in the power. You can buy a grizz for about $6400 if you look around, the bomb is around $9000 and not really $2600 better in my opinion. He and I think that the grizz is a much better looking atv. The front of a bomb looks like a volvo to me, there not very good looking.
But they are very fast top end. Just my opinion.

sizematters
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 01:15 AM
sizematters

[ QUOTE ]
I am new to this whole world of Atv riding and will be purchasing my first quad soon. As far as I can tell I will be purchising a 2006 and just wanted to know a few things.
is the grizzly 660 worth paying the extra for over the kodiak 450 if you are only going to be useing it for trail rideing and camping expiditions? Thanks for any insight you can give me.

[/ QUOTE ] I would go with the kodiak it has the same fully independent suspension push button 4wheel drive it is practicaly a baby grizzly, the only thing the gizzly is better for is going faster and higher ground clearance.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 01:20 AM
sizematters

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Kodiak 450 and my friend has a grizzly. We ride about the same and mine has never been to shop for repairs, while his has had to have a rear output shaft seal & front wheel bearings. Also, I can follow him anywhere he goes. The only advantage I see is the Grizzly is taller and keeps the belt vents away from water better & the bigger engine makes it faster. I would say save the money, spend it one some factory size Mud Lites and you will be able to do anything a Grizzly can and then some.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree the grizzly is just much faster, but if you are not into speed I would go with the kodiak it is like a baby or should I say half grown grizzly. LOL They are both excellent 4x4's. I have both of them, the grizz is mine and the kodiak is my teenage sons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode