More charging power? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Utility/4x4 ATVs All discussions of Utility and 4x4 ATV's, quads, four-wheelers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

More charging power?

I've got a '90 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 utility quad. It's got a winch on it, and I would like to add some auxilary lights to it for trail riding and when I'm plowing. My main concern is when using the winch while plowing at night, my lights dim to the point of almost going out, and the quad seems to idle down. Is there some kind of a more powerful charger that I can swap in? Also what's the maximum out-put for lights that I can run? Would vehicle fog lights work and not kill the charging system? Or do I have to get lights specifically designed for ATV's? Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:02 PM

Re: More charging power?

Well,

Let's see, first is your battery. Is your battery the correct battery you should have in there? Is it fully charged? Is it some cheap Schuck's/Walmart replacement?

Secondly, Winch, What brand, How many amps does it draw, how many pound pulling capacity? What intended for? (Meaning is it an ATV winch?

As far as auxillery lighting, Take all of your amps you are expending, Running motor / headlights (upgraded especially) / winch / hot grips / etc / and subtract that from top output of your stock charging system then figure you aren't running at close to peak RPM when leasurely plowing your driveway so take away a few more amps and then you could figure in putting on some auxillery lighting that only pull a couple amps.

In other words stick to stuff that was intended for ATV use.

Charging system, check with your local bike shop for "RICK'S !!!!!" I think.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

as far as i know the battery is a factory replacement bought a steven's sports. winch is a warn 2.0ci w/rocker switch, 2,000lb pulling. it should be fully charged, it's usually run daily to several times a week for extended periods of time [more than 30 min.] and it's usually during the day. not sure if you'd call wide open in first or second liesurley plowing or not. no i do not know what amp the battery or lights are rated for. i do not currently have an owners manual for it. it got lost in the move. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 09:29 AM
kingofatvs

Optima batteries apparently do a ATV version, that holds a larger charge which should enable you to put the lights on woth out dimming, but then ahain by connecting certain the lights up differently that the originals could solve this problem.

Sportsman 700 EFI
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 07:01 PM

Look into Western Power Sports distributing.

Available at any larger shop is a lighting stator. It is high output stator that produces just a bit more uummff.

Part Number - 27-9105
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 02:19 PM

<font face="comic sans ms">IMO it is normal for the lights to dim at idle during winching operations. How long it takes depends on how big the winch is, how big the battery is, and what the charging system is rated for, etc. My 700 Sportsman does that as well if I use the winch too long. It's pretty normal. The solution to this is to rev the engine up a bit, because it's not making much electricity for you at idle speeds. </font>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Hey thanks for the info every one. I surely do appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode